India Squads: Ishant Finally Gets the Axe as Pujara Finds Place in Asia Cup Team; Yuvraj To Feature in World T20
By Deepak Vikraman | February 11, 2014 8:53 PM EST
Ishant Sharma's liking towards bowling good length deliveries time and again, only to see it smashed over his head for one six after another, has finally come back to haunt him after the lanky pace bowler was left out of India's squads for both the Asia Cup and the World T20 in Bangladesh.
The All-India Senior Selection Committee, in a meeting in Bangalore on Tuesday, finally found a place in the India ODI team for Cheteshwar Pujara, with the Test supremo brought in at the expense of Suresh Raina, who has struggled for consistency in the 50-over format of late.
Raina, however, has been included in India's World T20 squad, with Yuvraj Singh, so off colour in the recent ODI series against Australia, which in turn led to his ouster for the New Zealand tour, also finding a place.
Ishant has been off the boil in the shorter formats of the game for quite a while now, with the fast bowler not exactly carrying any menace in the early part of the innings, while being hit for fun in the final stages.
It was only a matter of time before the selectors' patience ran out, and unfortunately for Ishant it has led to him missing out on the flight to the prestigious Asia Cup and the ICC World T20.
Stuart Binny has found a place in both squads for India, with the all-rounder no doubt looking forward to making more of an impact for his side when given an opportunity, after a rather forgettable debut against New Zealand, where he did not get a chance to bat, while was given the ball for just a single over.
The Asia Cup squad is pretty much the same, barring that Pujara replacement for Raina, while Varun Aaron, after his rather forgettable performances in New Zealand, will perhaps count himself a little lucky to be named in both squads.
Aaron has pace in his kitty, but lacks consistency, and could prove to be rather a costly mistake in more ways than one - but then he does have the ability to pick up wickets.
Yuvraj will be desperate to make amends for his failures against Australia, and the left-hander did play a match-winning knock in his last T20 against the same opposition, just before he found the going tough in the subsequent ODI series.
The bowling, as always, remains the weak link, but Dhoni will hope in Bangladesh conditions his slower bowlers can come more into play, and with it allow his free-flowing batsmen to smash a few out of the park without too much pressure on their shoulders.
Squads: Asia Cup: MS Dhoni (capt), Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ambati Rayudu, Ajinkya Rahane, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Varun Aaron, Stuart Binny, Amit Mishra, Ishwar Pandey.
World T20: MS Dhoni (capt), Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Yuvraj Singh, Ajinkya Rahane, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Stuart Binny, Amit Mishra, Mohit Sharma, Varun Aaron.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date