India Squads: Ishant Finally Gets the Axe as Pujara Finds Place in Asia Cup Team; Yuvraj To Feature in World T20
By Deepak Vikraman | February 11, 2014 8:53 PM EST
Ishant Sharma's liking towards bowling good length deliveries time and again, only to see it smashed over his head for one six after another, has finally come back to haunt him after the lanky pace bowler was left out of India's squads for both the Asia Cup and the World T20 in Bangladesh.
The All-India Senior Selection Committee, in a meeting in Bangalore on Tuesday, finally found a place in the India ODI team for Cheteshwar Pujara, with the Test supremo brought in at the expense of Suresh Raina, who has struggled for consistency in the 50-over format of late.
Raina, however, has been included in India's World T20 squad, with Yuvraj Singh, so off colour in the recent ODI series against Australia, which in turn led to his ouster for the New Zealand tour, also finding a place.
Ishant has been off the boil in the shorter formats of the game for quite a while now, with the fast bowler not exactly carrying any menace in the early part of the innings, while being hit for fun in the final stages.
It was only a matter of time before the selectors' patience ran out, and unfortunately for Ishant it has led to him missing out on the flight to the prestigious Asia Cup and the ICC World T20.
Stuart Binny has found a place in both squads for India, with the all-rounder no doubt looking forward to making more of an impact for his side when given an opportunity, after a rather forgettable debut against New Zealand, where he did not get a chance to bat, while was given the ball for just a single over.
The Asia Cup squad is pretty much the same, barring that Pujara replacement for Raina, while Varun Aaron, after his rather forgettable performances in New Zealand, will perhaps count himself a little lucky to be named in both squads.
Aaron has pace in his kitty, but lacks consistency, and could prove to be rather a costly mistake in more ways than one - but then he does have the ability to pick up wickets.
Yuvraj will be desperate to make amends for his failures against Australia, and the left-hander did play a match-winning knock in his last T20 against the same opposition, just before he found the going tough in the subsequent ODI series.
The bowling, as always, remains the weak link, but Dhoni will hope in Bangladesh conditions his slower bowlers can come more into play, and with it allow his free-flowing batsmen to smash a few out of the park without too much pressure on their shoulders.
Squads: Asia Cup: MS Dhoni (capt), Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ambati Rayudu, Ajinkya Rahane, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Varun Aaron, Stuart Binny, Amit Mishra, Ishwar Pandey.
World T20: MS Dhoni (capt), Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Yuvraj Singh, Ajinkya Rahane, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Stuart Binny, Amit Mishra, Mohit Sharma, Varun Aaron.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists