Girl Falls Sick, Dies after Consuming Pepsi in Tamil Nadu; Siblings still in Hospital
By Roshni Mahesh | February 11, 2014 7:03 PM EST
An eight-year-old girl from Tamil Nadu died allegedly after she consumed a soft drink her father brought home Sunday night.
The deceased Abhirami is the second child of Anjapuli, a contract worker, based in a village near Neyveli in Cuddalore district. According to police reports, Anjapuli, who works at the Neyveli Lignite Corporation, returned home with a 500 ml bottle of Pepsi he bought from a shop located in the Sheplanatham village, The New Indian Express reported.
An eight-year-old girl from Tamil Nadu died allegedly after she consumed the soft drink her father brought home Sunday night. (Sebastian Djupsjöbacka/Flickr)
Abhirami, consumed the drink along with her three siblings Lalithaa (10), Kausalya (6) and Paramasivan (3). However, shortly after taking the drink, the children developed nausea, stomach pain and vomiting, Times of India reported.
The panic-stricken parents acted quickly and took their little ones to a nearby primary health centre and later to a government general hospital in Cuddalore. However, doctors couldn't save Abhirami's life and she died at the hospital. On doctors' recommendation, the other three were later shifted to Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (Jipmer) in Puducherry. According to reports, Lalithaa is still in a critical condition, while the other two chidlren Kausalya and Paramasivan are stable.
Police have arrested the owner of the shop Nagarathinam, for investigation. Meanwhile, authorities have closed down the shop and collected samples of the soft drink for testing. Officials said they are waiting to get the lab results to confirm reasons behind the incident.
"The children after consuming soft drink complained of severe irritation in the stomach. We are sure that the soft drink claimed the life of a girl and affected the health of three other children. We will send the viscera and the samples of the soft drink for detailed analysis. We will be in a position to ascertain the nature of toxic substance only after receiving reports from the forensic lab," food safety officer MP Raja, told Times of India.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- Dead Heart Beats Again, Doctors Use It For Transplant – A World’s First For Australia
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation