Sochi Olympics Clean-up: Russian Man Shelters Stray Dogs to Save Them from Russian Company with a License to Kill
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 11, 2014 6:33 PM EST
Igor Ayrapetyan, a Russian activist, disagrees with the government on its decision to exterminate stray dogs in Sochi on the occasion of the Olympics. The 41-year-old gentleman decided to bring as many stray dogs as possible from Sochi to his home so that they can be saved from the company hired by the government for the "procedure."
Mr Ayrapetyan saw a post on Facebook that Russian authorities had plans to shoot stray cats and dogs on the eve of the 2014 Sochi Olympics. He, accompanied by a friend, took his BMW SUV and went to Sochi only to pick up 11 street dogs from the city. The friend drove the vehicle while Mr Ayrapetyan took a nap in the long journey from Sochi to Moscow.
Mr Ayrapetyan told The Moscow Times that he had never been bitten by dogs. Dogs sense when people do not wish to harm them, he said as he picked one of the stray dogs in his arms and kissed it on its nose. He had had plans to pick up many more stray dogs before the Games began on Friday, Feb 7. However, several roads to Sochi were blocked due to the Olympic Torch Relay. His effort will now continue during the Games as well.
Sochi planned to evacuate stray cats and dogs from the city by 2015. They announced tenders for the "disposal" of the animals. Local animal lovers did not take the decision well. They had a rally in April 2013 against the decision to shoot stray animals. Around 1,500 signatures were collected in support of encouraging the authorities to form a shelter for stray dogs.
The authorities, on the other hand, claimed that the tenders had been cancelled as there was a very limited number of companies applying for the job. However, local resident kept on finding corpses of stray animals in the city in 2013. CNN reported earlier that a Russian woman named Yulia Krasova filmed a dying dog in her cell phone and posted it online.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide