Flappy Bird Creator Death Hoax: Dong Nguyen Commits Suicide, Says Online Rumour
By Keerthi Mohan | February 11, 2014 3:38 PM EST
Dong Nguyen, creator of Flappy Bird who pulled the game from app stores on Sunday, has been getting a number of death threats from online users, following which he was reportedly found dead with a gunshot wound on his head. However, it is now being said that Nguyen is very much alive and that the news of his suicide was just a rumour that was started online.
Flappy Bird has been taken off the stores.
The news of Dong’s death has been spreading like wildfire on social networking platforms, twitter is abuzz with questions over his death.
“So did the Flappy Bird creator really kill himself or did the internet lie to me again,” a tweet read, while others noted that popularity of the game was what caused Dong’s death.
“Rest in Peace to the creator of Flappy Bird, Dong Nguyen. Committed suicide this morning because of the death threats and to much publicity.”
“The creator of flappy bird committed suicide bc of death threats for the game If you don't like it then don't play it and shut your mouth,” another message read.
But the news of Dong’s death, reported by Huzlers, a website that develops “a combination of real shocking news and satire news to keep its visitors in a state of disbelief,” was debunked the same day, but not before it attracted much media attention.
While some of the death threats were aimed at Dong himself, some players said they would kill themselves if Flappy Bird was removed from app stores.
Meanwhile, devices with Flappy Bird installed are selling on eBay at a whopping $100,000.
Pindrus, an eBay user, had listed his used 16GB iPhone 5s with the game installed for $99,900.00 on Sunday, according to Idownloadblog.com. A scan of eBay shows that many users are trying to capitalize on the game’s unavailability by putting their iPhones with Flappy Bird installed up for sale.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales