Flappy Bird Creator Death Hoax: Dong Nguyen Commits Suicide, Says Online Rumour
By Keerthi Mohan | February 11, 2014 3:38 PM EST
Dong Nguyen, creator of Flappy Bird who pulled the game from app stores on Sunday, has been getting a number of death threats from online users, following which he was reportedly found dead with a gunshot wound on his head. However, it is now being said that Nguyen is very much alive and that the news of his suicide was just a rumour that was started online.
Flappy Bird has been taken off the stores.
The news of Dong’s death has been spreading like wildfire on social networking platforms, twitter is abuzz with questions over his death.
“So did the Flappy Bird creator really kill himself or did the internet lie to me again,” a tweet read, while others noted that popularity of the game was what caused Dong’s death.
“Rest in Peace to the creator of Flappy Bird, Dong Nguyen. Committed suicide this morning because of the death threats and to much publicity.”
“The creator of flappy bird committed suicide bc of death threats for the game If you don't like it then don't play it and shut your mouth,” another message read.
But the news of Dong’s death, reported by Huzlers, a website that develops “a combination of real shocking news and satire news to keep its visitors in a state of disbelief,” was debunked the same day, but not before it attracted much media attention.
While some of the death threats were aimed at Dong himself, some players said they would kill themselves if Flappy Bird was removed from app stores.
Meanwhile, devices with Flappy Bird installed are selling on eBay at a whopping $100,000.
Pindrus, an eBay user, had listed his used 16GB iPhone 5s with the game installed for $99,900.00 on Sunday, according to Idownloadblog.com. A scan of eBay shows that many users are trying to capitalize on the game’s unavailability by putting their iPhones with Flappy Bird installed up for sale.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine