North Korea Holds Potential 216 Million Tonnes Rare Earths
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 11, 2014 3:17 PM EST
North Korea's been reported to be potentially holding the world's largest deposit of rare earth minerals at 216 million tonnes, which if properly managed and funneled, could make the world's most isolated regime and its people rich and powerful.
China Opposes Release of WTO’s Rare Earths Report Favouring US, Japan and EU (Reuters)
State-owned Korea Natural Resources Trading Corporation has entered into a joint venture with British Islands-based private equity firm SRE Minerals Limited to explore and develop the deposits in Jongju, northwest of the capital, Pyongyang. Exploration has been scheduled to begin in April.
"It's been no secret that they have a lot of rare earths," the Christian Science Monitor said. "The fact that we've known about it for so long and nothing has really come of it I think says something about North Korea - that they've got a terrible economy and they've got all this marketable resource, but they can't manage to get it together to do anything with it and make any money from it."
According to SRE, the 216 million tonne rare earths deposit includes about 2.66 per cent of heavy REEs, as well as light REEs and rare earth minerals. The value of the natural resources could reach $64.9 trillion. It may likewise be able to produce fluorite, apatite, zircon, nepheline, feldspar and ilmenite as by-products.
"If North Korea was able to launch this program and develop its own industry," Scott Bruce, an associate of the East-West Center in Hawaii, told Voice of America. "It could potentially leverage them to integrate with its neighbors and no longer be the black hole in the center of northeast Asia."
China is dubbed as the world's stronghold of rare earths deposit, controlling more than 95 per cent of the global trade.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans