New Zealand Axe Ryder and Bracewell, with Latham and Neesham Getting Call Ups for Second Test Against India
By Deepak Vikraman | February 11, 2014 2:58 PM EST
Jesse Ryder and Doug Bracewell were given the axe after the duo was fined by the New Zealand Cricket Board for drinking late into the night just ahead of the first Test against India, with Tom Latham and James Neesham the benefactors.
Latham and Neesham have been added to the squad ahead of the second Test which starts on Friday, with both in line for a Test debut if given a call up.
However, the chances of New Zealand making any changes to the playing XI that beat India by 40 runs in the first Test remains pretty low, but the New Zealand Cricket Board were left with little choice than to replace Ryder and Bracewell following their booze binge.
"The New Zealand selectors place great emphasis on qualities such as personal responsibility, trustworthiness and dependability," NZC head of cricketing operations Lindsay Crocker said.
"All players in contention for the Black Caps need to satisfy the selectors of their commitment to prepare conscientiously for international fixtures."
Neesham has been brought in to replace Bracewell, and although the former is not exactly a like-for-like for the latter, New Zealand Cricket's general manager of national selection Bruce Edgar believes the all-rounder, who was a part of the ODI squad and played in the last couple of matches against India, has the capabilities to slot right into the team if necessary.
"We see Jimmy as a genuine all-rounder who can play a number of roles for us. His form with both bat and ball in the Plunket Shield this season speaks for itself," Edgar told NZC's official website.
"We've been able to keep a settled side recently and strung together some successful results along the way. We hope to keep that going, but are well aware India will come back at us hard."
Latham has played 13 one-day internationals and seven T20Is for New Zealand so far in his career and replaces Ryder, who was in the squad as a backup to Ross Taylor.
"Tom's an incredibly exciting prospect and is constantly pushing for selection," Edgar added. "If called upon, we're confident that he'll take the opportunity with both hands."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks