Sochi 2014: Canada, Netherlands, Norway Lead the Medal Tally
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 11, 2014 10:15 AM EST
Canada, Netherlands, and Norway lead the medal tally at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. The three countries all sit comfortably atop the current medal standings with a total of 7 medals each. The host country, Russia, is currently at fifth place behind the U.S. and Germany.
Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics Medal Tally
COUNTRY GOLD SILVER BRONZE ALL
CANADA 3 3 1 7
NETHERLANDS 3 2 2 7
NORWAY 2 1 4 7
U.S.A. 2 0 3 5
GERMANY 2 0 0 2
RUSSIA 1 2 3 6
AUSTRIA 1 2 0 3
FRANCE 1 0 1 2
POLAND 1 0 0 1
SLOVAKIA 1 0 0 1
SWITZERLAND 1 0 0 1
CZECH REPUBLIC 0 2 1 3
SWEDEN 0 2 0 2
ITALY 0 1 1 2
CHINA 0 1 0 1
FINLAND 0 1 0 1
SLOVENIA 0 1 0 1
GREAT BRITAIN 0 0 1 1
UKRAINE 0 0 1 1
The last gold medal was won by Canadian Alex Bilodeau for the freestyle skiing competition. Bilodeau is reportedly only the second Canadian to have won Olympic gold medals in the same free style skiing event consecutively, CapeBretonPost reported. He first won the first gold medal for Canada at the Vancouver Olympic Games in 2010. The first Canadian to win back-to-back was Catroina Le May who competed in 500-metre track speed skating events in the Nagano Olympics and Salt Lake City Olympics in 1998 and 2002, respectively.
"I'm glad to finish my last Olympics like this," said Bilodeau.
"It's going to be a great retirement."
"The future of freestyle skiing in Canada is not done, there is so many good kids coming up and I am grad to share a podium with one of them," he added.
Bilodeau was grateful to his colleagues who had helped him when he was training.
"That's why I got my best skiing tonight."
Both the Netherlands and Norway have the same total of medals won as Canada, which is seven overall. However, Canada claims the top spot of the medal table with more gold medals and silver medals than the other two nations.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar