Sochi 2014: Canada, Netherlands, Norway Lead the Medal Tally
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 11, 2014 10:15 AM EST
Canada, Netherlands, and Norway lead the medal tally at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. The three countries all sit comfortably atop the current medal standings with a total of 7 medals each. The host country, Russia, is currently at fifth place behind the U.S. and Germany.
Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics Medal Tally
COUNTRY GOLD SILVER BRONZE ALL
CANADA 3 3 1 7
NETHERLANDS 3 2 2 7
NORWAY 2 1 4 7
U.S.A. 2 0 3 5
GERMANY 2 0 0 2
RUSSIA 1 2 3 6
AUSTRIA 1 2 0 3
FRANCE 1 0 1 2
POLAND 1 0 0 1
SLOVAKIA 1 0 0 1
SWITZERLAND 1 0 0 1
CZECH REPUBLIC 0 2 1 3
SWEDEN 0 2 0 2
ITALY 0 1 1 2
CHINA 0 1 0 1
FINLAND 0 1 0 1
SLOVENIA 0 1 0 1
GREAT BRITAIN 0 0 1 1
UKRAINE 0 0 1 1
The last gold medal was won by Canadian Alex Bilodeau for the freestyle skiing competition. Bilodeau is reportedly only the second Canadian to have won Olympic gold medals in the same free style skiing event consecutively, CapeBretonPost reported. He first won the first gold medal for Canada at the Vancouver Olympic Games in 2010. The first Canadian to win back-to-back was Catroina Le May who competed in 500-metre track speed skating events in the Nagano Olympics and Salt Lake City Olympics in 1998 and 2002, respectively.
"I'm glad to finish my last Olympics like this," said Bilodeau.
"It's going to be a great retirement."
"The future of freestyle skiing in Canada is not done, there is so many good kids coming up and I am grad to share a podium with one of them," he added.
Bilodeau was grateful to his colleagues who had helped him when he was training.
"That's why I got my best skiing tonight."
Both the Netherlands and Norway have the same total of medals won as Canada, which is seven overall. However, Canada claims the top spot of the medal table with more gold medals and silver medals than the other two nations.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal