Sochi 2014: Canada, Netherlands, Norway Lead the Medal Tally
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 11, 2014 10:15 AM EST
Canada, Netherlands, and Norway lead the medal tally at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. The three countries all sit comfortably atop the current medal standings with a total of 7 medals each. The host country, Russia, is currently at fifth place behind the U.S. and Germany.
Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics Medal Tally
COUNTRY GOLD SILVER BRONZE ALL
CANADA 3 3 1 7
NETHERLANDS 3 2 2 7
NORWAY 2 1 4 7
U.S.A. 2 0 3 5
GERMANY 2 0 0 2
RUSSIA 1 2 3 6
AUSTRIA 1 2 0 3
FRANCE 1 0 1 2
POLAND 1 0 0 1
SLOVAKIA 1 0 0 1
SWITZERLAND 1 0 0 1
CZECH REPUBLIC 0 2 1 3
SWEDEN 0 2 0 2
ITALY 0 1 1 2
CHINA 0 1 0 1
FINLAND 0 1 0 1
SLOVENIA 0 1 0 1
GREAT BRITAIN 0 0 1 1
UKRAINE 0 0 1 1
The last gold medal was won by Canadian Alex Bilodeau for the freestyle skiing competition. Bilodeau is reportedly only the second Canadian to have won Olympic gold medals in the same free style skiing event consecutively, CapeBretonPost reported. He first won the first gold medal for Canada at the Vancouver Olympic Games in 2010. The first Canadian to win back-to-back was Catroina Le May who competed in 500-metre track speed skating events in the Nagano Olympics and Salt Lake City Olympics in 1998 and 2002, respectively.
"I'm glad to finish my last Olympics like this," said Bilodeau.
"It's going to be a great retirement."
"The future of freestyle skiing in Canada is not done, there is so many good kids coming up and I am grad to share a podium with one of them," he added.
Bilodeau was grateful to his colleagues who had helped him when he was training.
"That's why I got my best skiing tonight."
Both the Netherlands and Norway have the same total of medals won as Canada, which is seven overall. However, Canada claims the top spot of the medal table with more gold medals and silver medals than the other two nations.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS