Sochi 2014: Canada, Netherlands, Norway Lead the Medal Tally
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 11, 2014 10:15 AM EST
Canada, Netherlands, and Norway lead the medal tally at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. The three countries all sit comfortably atop the current medal standings with a total of 7 medals each. The host country, Russia, is currently at fifth place behind the U.S. and Germany.
Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics Medal Tally
COUNTRY GOLD SILVER BRONZE ALL
CANADA 3 3 1 7
NETHERLANDS 3 2 2 7
NORWAY 2 1 4 7
U.S.A. 2 0 3 5
GERMANY 2 0 0 2
RUSSIA 1 2 3 6
AUSTRIA 1 2 0 3
FRANCE 1 0 1 2
POLAND 1 0 0 1
SLOVAKIA 1 0 0 1
SWITZERLAND 1 0 0 1
CZECH REPUBLIC 0 2 1 3
SWEDEN 0 2 0 2
ITALY 0 1 1 2
CHINA 0 1 0 1
FINLAND 0 1 0 1
SLOVENIA 0 1 0 1
GREAT BRITAIN 0 0 1 1
UKRAINE 0 0 1 1
The last gold medal was won by Canadian Alex Bilodeau for the freestyle skiing competition. Bilodeau is reportedly only the second Canadian to have won Olympic gold medals in the same free style skiing event consecutively, CapeBretonPost reported. He first won the first gold medal for Canada at the Vancouver Olympic Games in 2010. The first Canadian to win back-to-back was Catroina Le May who competed in 500-metre track speed skating events in the Nagano Olympics and Salt Lake City Olympics in 1998 and 2002, respectively.
"I'm glad to finish my last Olympics like this," said Bilodeau.
"It's going to be a great retirement."
"The future of freestyle skiing in Canada is not done, there is so many good kids coming up and I am grad to share a podium with one of them," he added.
Bilodeau was grateful to his colleagues who had helped him when he was training.
"That's why I got my best skiing tonight."
Both the Netherlands and Norway have the same total of medals won as Canada, which is seven overall. However, Canada claims the top spot of the medal table with more gold medals and silver medals than the other two nations.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales