Sochi 2014: Canada, Netherlands, Norway Lead the Medal Tally
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 11, 2014 10:15 AM EST
Canada, Netherlands, and Norway lead the medal tally at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. The three countries all sit comfortably atop the current medal standings with a total of 7 medals each. The host country, Russia, is currently at fifth place behind the U.S. and Germany.
Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics Medal Tally
COUNTRY GOLD SILVER BRONZE ALL
CANADA 3 3 1 7
NETHERLANDS 3 2 2 7
NORWAY 2 1 4 7
U.S.A. 2 0 3 5
GERMANY 2 0 0 2
RUSSIA 1 2 3 6
AUSTRIA 1 2 0 3
FRANCE 1 0 1 2
POLAND 1 0 0 1
SLOVAKIA 1 0 0 1
SWITZERLAND 1 0 0 1
CZECH REPUBLIC 0 2 1 3
SWEDEN 0 2 0 2
ITALY 0 1 1 2
CHINA 0 1 0 1
FINLAND 0 1 0 1
SLOVENIA 0 1 0 1
GREAT BRITAIN 0 0 1 1
UKRAINE 0 0 1 1
The last gold medal was won by Canadian Alex Bilodeau for the freestyle skiing competition. Bilodeau is reportedly only the second Canadian to have won Olympic gold medals in the same free style skiing event consecutively, CapeBretonPost reported. He first won the first gold medal for Canada at the Vancouver Olympic Games in 2010. The first Canadian to win back-to-back was Catroina Le May who competed in 500-metre track speed skating events in the Nagano Olympics and Salt Lake City Olympics in 1998 and 2002, respectively.
"I'm glad to finish my last Olympics like this," said Bilodeau.
"It's going to be a great retirement."
"The future of freestyle skiing in Canada is not done, there is so many good kids coming up and I am grad to share a podium with one of them," he added.
Bilodeau was grateful to his colleagues who had helped him when he was training.
"That's why I got my best skiing tonight."
Both the Netherlands and Norway have the same total of medals won as Canada, which is seven overall. However, Canada claims the top spot of the medal table with more gold medals and silver medals than the other two nations.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4