Flappy Bird Triggered Mass Suicide on Twitter
By Riza Ornos | February 11, 2014 10:08 AM EST
The insanely popular smartphone app Flappy Bird is the center of countless controversies that Vietnamese developer Dong Nguyen threatened to pull out the game just to put all scepticism and rumors to rest. But his threat did not seemed to work but instead it sparked an outrage of Flappy Birds users threatening him not to pull out the game or there will be a mass suicide.
Now a pop culture phenomenon, Flappy Bird's Dong Nguyen is one popular guy nowadays and his simple game is currently dominating the app stores in major countries. If you haven't heard about Flappy Bird then you are clearly living under a rock. People who doesn't have smartphones are buying one now just play the insanely addictive game.
The news about Dong cutting the craziness over Flappy Bird started when news about a teen from Chicago killed his brother over the game which turned out to be a joke. But the controversies did not end there, after the developer's threat huzlers.com also published another hoax about Nguyen committing suicide.
The news reads: "SAN FRANCISCO - Flappy Bird developer Dong Nguyen has just been found dead in his home with a gunshot wound in his head. Authorities are confirming that Nguyen committed suicide by shooting himself in the head with a pistol. Authorities are saying that the sensational game Flappy Bird had something to do with the suicide."
The overwhelming popularity of the game is just too much for him that on Saturday, Feb. 8 he shocked everyone when he tweeted "I am sorry Flappy Bird users, 22 hours from now, I take "Flappy Bird" down. I cannot take this anymore."
The shy Hanoi-based developer started cancelling interview and staying away from the video due to the overwhelming response to his app. But it seems that his decision to pull out the game from the app stores sparks a lot of controversies knowing that the game is earning US$50, 000 a day from advertising alone.
MikesiOSHelp (MikeiOSHelp) tweeted, "I guess @dongatory didn't like making $50,000 a day from ads in Flappy Bird. You sir, must be under the influence of drugs. Idiot."
While MonsieurApple (@Monsieur_Apple) thinks that it's only a publicity stunt. He tweeted: "If you ask me, the Flappy Bird guy @dongatory is a marketing genius. Silly tweet goes viral, gains 50k followers, grows his name. Genius."
Here are some of Twitter death threats:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft