"How I Met Your Mother" Season 9 is just a few episodes away from its season finale, which marks the ending of the comedy series. Many HIMYM fans feel Cristin Milioti's mother character dies before 2030 - the year Ted Mosby begins telling the story to kids Luke and Penny. Here are some of the reasons.
Reuters Cobie Smulders poses for photographs as she arrives for the European premiere of Avengers Assemble at The Vue, Paddington, London, April 19, 2012.
Spoiler alert: This feature contains spoilers on How I Met Your Mother Season 9. Both Neil Patrick Harris and Cobie Smulders have spoken about the series ending. Find out what they have to say.
Why haven't fans heard about the 2030 Mrs Mosby? Here are five reasons why some fans believe that Cristin Milioti's character dies before Ted Mosby tells the story of how he met his wife:
1. The 45 "extra" days. In How I Met Your Mother Season 8, Episode 20 ("The Time Travelers"), Ted Mosby (Josh Radnor) imagines himself talking to his future wife. He tells her, "I want this extra 45 days with you, I want each one of them." Some HIMYM fans take this as a solid clue that Mr and Mrs Mosby are to deal with death some time before 2030.
Watch a fan-posted video clip (YouTube) of this special HIMYM scene below.
2. "How Your Mother Met Me." This special 200th episode of How I Met Your Mother could have been told by Cristin Milioti's still-unnamed mother character. The HIMYM showrunners, according to some fans, deliberately chose a different treatment. Throughout the series, Ted Mosby has been the only storyteller, though the mother could've taken over.
3. "Where's my wife?" In the year 2020, Ted Mosby, Marshall and Lily attended a college reunion. While enjoying a "sandwich," Ted blurts out, "Where's my wife?" The tone gives away a hint of grieving denial, some fans point out.
The aforementioned scene is part of How I Met Your Mother Season 53, Episode 35 ("How I Met Everyone Else"). Watch a fan-posted clip of the episode:
4. Cobie Smulders on HIMYM series finale. The actress who plays Robin Scherbatsky has asked How I Met Your Mother creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas about the comedy series' ending. Was she sure she wanted to know, they asked her. Yes, Cobie said. And just like that, she learned the details of the HIMYM ending.
"I immediately started weeping and had to leave. Like, I had to leave," Smulders told IGN. Fans picked up some heavy emotions from that statement.
5. Neil Patrick Harris says the HIMYM ending is "complicated." Barney Stinson has a solid fan base among How I Met Your Mother viewers because he's the guy who gets many crazy things rolling for the gang. The Robin Sparkles videos. The Bro Code. The Playbook. The manipulations and quirky little schemes. NPH definitely understands his crazy character. And so when he speaks about the HIMYM series ending, his description is taken seriously.
"It's more complicated than I had thought -- it's not just a simple, one-word ending," Harris was quoted in this Zap2It report. He adds the fans will appreciate the details, though.
Watch Barney Stinson and the gang in this "Best Quotes" video uploaded to YouTube by @letsdigin:
"How I Met Your Mother" Season 9 finale is a special 1-hour episode called, "Last Forever." The ending of the CBS comedy airs on March 31.
More TV Guide and Spoiler Features
'How I Met Your Mother' Season 9, Episode 17 Spoilers: Ted and Robin Ending, Finally? Ted's Top 5 Ex-GFs! [Watch Promo Video] 'American Idol' 2014: Spencer Lloyd, Ben Briley, and Kenzie Hall in 10 of Best Auditions and Hollywood Contestants, Early Favourites [WATCH VIDEOS] 'Glee' Season 5 Spoilers: More New York, Less Demi Lovato as 'Nationals' Pull Closer; Dianna Agron and Lea Michele Disprove Feud in Photos [CLICK HERE]