Coffee Shop Named ‘Dumb Starbucks’ Brewing in Los Angeles (Photos and Video)
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 10, 2014 11:39 PM EST
Global brand Starbucks Coffee has to be fuming mad or curious, at the very least, after a Los Angeles coffee shop named "Dumb Starbucks Coffee" opened last weekend.
Coffee shop named "Dumb Starbucks Coffee" opened in Los Angeles last weekend
The locals around the area were dumbfounded, but it did not stop some of them from queuing in for a dose of free "dumb coffee," served as a promo for opening day.
Everything found in the said establishment, including the logo, looks exactly like anything and everything that may be found in an authentic Starbucks shop, except that words and/or phrases of products and the like are affixed by the word "dumb."
Meanwhile, an unidentified Starbucks representative told The Wall Street Journal that they are "aware" of the existence of such shop and are "looking into it." They also stated that they are not any affiliated with the said store.
For starters, they handed out FAQ sheets to customers claiming, among others, that the use of the mentioned name falls well within the principle of "fair use," which allows a copyrighted work to be parodied.
However, the "fair use" doctrine is not without limitations.
In any case, it will be up to the courts to determine infringement, if any, should a case ensue.
— Mark McCune (@MarkMcCune) February 8, 2014
Dumb Starbucks store. Their legal FAQ is what impressed me. http://t.co/MkrdosOt7x pic.twitter.com/Zhb96WXJ6w — Ben Pankonin (@benpankonin) February 9, 2014
Enjoy our full menu of coffees and cold drinks pic.twitter.com/wPacrEEH9k — Dumb Starbucks (@dumbstarbucks) February 8, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy