Coffee Shop Named ‘Dumb Starbucks’ Brewing in Los Angeles (Photos and Video)
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 10, 2014 11:39 PM EST
Global brand Starbucks Coffee has to be fuming mad or curious, at the very least, after a Los Angeles coffee shop named "Dumb Starbucks Coffee" opened last weekend.
Coffee shop named "Dumb Starbucks Coffee" opened in Los Angeles last weekend
The locals around the area were dumbfounded, but it did not stop some of them from queuing in for a dose of free "dumb coffee," served as a promo for opening day.
Everything found in the said establishment, including the logo, looks exactly like anything and everything that may be found in an authentic Starbucks shop, except that words and/or phrases of products and the like are affixed by the word "dumb."
Meanwhile, an unidentified Starbucks representative told The Wall Street Journal that they are "aware" of the existence of such shop and are "looking into it." They also stated that they are not any affiliated with the said store.
For starters, they handed out FAQ sheets to customers claiming, among others, that the use of the mentioned name falls well within the principle of "fair use," which allows a copyrighted work to be parodied.
However, the "fair use" doctrine is not without limitations.
In any case, it will be up to the courts to determine infringement, if any, should a case ensue.
— Mark McCune (@MarkMcCune) February 8, 2014
Dumb Starbucks store. Their legal FAQ is what impressed me. http://t.co/MkrdosOt7x pic.twitter.com/Zhb96WXJ6w — Ben Pankonin (@benpankonin) February 9, 2014
Enjoy our full menu of coffees and cold drinks pic.twitter.com/wPacrEEH9k — Dumb Starbucks (@dumbstarbucks) February 8, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’