Google Nexus 6 Release In Summer; Lenovo To Manufacture Next Nexus Smartphone
By Kristin Dian Mariano | February 10, 2014 11:37 PM EST
Google Nexus 6 release date is expected in summer with Lenovo taking the helm in making the next-generation Nexus smartphones.
Google Nexus 6 is speculated to launch between June and September this year. This is according to Analyst Eldar Murtazin based on Lenovo's new partnership with Google made by buying the Motorola Mobility.
Nexus 6 concept image
The Chinese PC manufacturer's acquisition of the Motorola Mobility is almost complete. To get 6 percent interest, Lenovo has to pay $3 billion to Google.
"The stake worth $750 million is the third leg of the company's purchase agreement alongside $660 million in cash and a $1.5 billion, three-year promissory note," according to Apple Insider.
The report added Lenovo's acquisition of Motorola includes mostly of wide intellectual property portfolio rather than the hardware aspect of the business.
"Google sold Motorola's set-top box business soon after the original acquisition, and the Lenovo deal leaves Mountain View, Calif.-based Google with the lion's share of Motorola's patents as well as its secretive Advanced Research and Projects division," the report noted.
This business engagement which is almost complete sparked rumors that the next Nexus smartphone will be made under Lenovo-Motorola branding.
Analysts agreed this could be a good move for Google in reaching wider market, especially because of Lenovo's stance in Chinese market. If Lenovo will develop Nexus 6, it may reach millions of new buyers and further those in Asia.
If the reports proved to be true and Lenovo will indeed work on the Google Nexus 6, the smartphone may take after Lenovo K900 smartphone. The handset did not boast stellar specs and features. It packed a 5.5-inch full HD screen display and sported a Corning Gorilla Glass 2 for protection.
Under the hood, K900 is powered by a dual core Intel Atom chipset clocked at 2 GHz and 2500 mAh battery capacity. For the camera, Lenovo's handset has a 13 megapixel camera at the back and 2 megapixel front-facing camera. But there is a lot of room for improvement that may happen in Google's next-gen handset.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around