Justin Bieber 'Killed 7-Year-Old Boy Video' is Scam; Tricks Users into Installing Rogue App
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 10, 2014 9:31 PM EST
A Facebook post has claimed that Canadian pop star Justin Bieber accidentally killed a 7-year-old boy while driving under the influence (DUI). But the video has turned out to be a scam that tricks users into a video website.
Ambulances Rush Into Justin Bieber's Calabasas Property/Reuters
The scam came just a few weeks after the 19-year-old pop sensation was arrested in Miami on charges of driving under the influence (DUI) and drag racing in a Lamborghini.
The Facebook message said that the accident happened when the boy was on the way to school along with his sister.
"Breaking News: Justin Bieber Did it Again!! This time it's OVER...DUI," read the title of the video.
"Justine Bieber [sic] did it again! this time his CAREER is over.. He accidentaly killed a 7-Year-Old Boy that was walking to school with 12-Year-Old Sister..Police Investigate that bieber is positive in DUI," read the description.
However, this message circulating on Facebook is nothing but a scam, and Justin Bieber didn't kill a child.
According to Hoax Slayer: "The message is a scam designed to trick people into allowing a rogue app to send out spam messages on their behalf. The message is apparently an underhand attempt to promote a "trending video" website" and "suggests internet users not to click any links that it contains."
Hoax Slayer goes to say that the message is a scam designed to trick users into installing a rogue app that will spam out more of the same scam messages via Facebook. Links provided in the message take users to a page that has video on Bieber's recent arrest for DUI.
Internet users, who have installed the app, can uninstall it by removing it from the "App" section of their Facebook accounts.
The truth is Bieber was not involved in any accident, though he was arrested in Miami Beach last month and was charged for DUI, driving with an expired license and resisting arrest without violence. Police said that he was under the influence of drugs when the incident happened, and the singer too apparently told the police that he had consumed beer, anti-depressants pills and smoked marijuana.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Nude Photo Leak: Kim Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens, Hope Solo Latest Victims Of Hacking Attack, Twitter Explodes With Reactions 'Not' In Support Of Kardashian -- Reports
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?