Justin Bieber 'Killed 7-Year-Old Boy Video' is Scam; Tricks Users into Installing Rogue App
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 10, 2014 9:31 PM EST
A Facebook post has claimed that Canadian pop star Justin Bieber accidentally killed a 7-year-old boy while driving under the influence (DUI). But the video has turned out to be a scam that tricks users into a video website.
Ambulances Rush Into Justin Bieber's Calabasas Property/Reuters
The scam came just a few weeks after the 19-year-old pop sensation was arrested in Miami on charges of driving under the influence (DUI) and drag racing in a Lamborghini.
The Facebook message said that the accident happened when the boy was on the way to school along with his sister.
"Breaking News: Justin Bieber Did it Again!! This time it's OVER...DUI," read the title of the video.
"Justine Bieber [sic] did it again! this time his CAREER is over.. He accidentaly killed a 7-Year-Old Boy that was walking to school with 12-Year-Old Sister..Police Investigate that bieber is positive in DUI," read the description.
However, this message circulating on Facebook is nothing but a scam, and Justin Bieber didn't kill a child.
According to Hoax Slayer: "The message is a scam designed to trick people into allowing a rogue app to send out spam messages on their behalf. The message is apparently an underhand attempt to promote a "trending video" website" and "suggests internet users not to click any links that it contains."
Hoax Slayer goes to say that the message is a scam designed to trick users into installing a rogue app that will spam out more of the same scam messages via Facebook. Links provided in the message take users to a page that has video on Bieber's recent arrest for DUI.
Internet users, who have installed the app, can uninstall it by removing it from the "App" section of their Facebook accounts.
The truth is Bieber was not involved in any accident, though he was arrested in Miami Beach last month and was charged for DUI, driving with an expired license and resisting arrest without violence. Police said that he was under the influence of drugs when the incident happened, and the singer too apparently told the police that he had consumed beer, anti-depressants pills and smoked marijuana.
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation