Justin Bieber 'Killed 7-Year-Old Boy Video' is Scam; Tricks Users into Installing Rogue App
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 10, 2014 9:31 PM EST
A Facebook post has claimed that Canadian pop star Justin Bieber accidentally killed a 7-year-old boy while driving under the influence (DUI). But the video has turned out to be a scam that tricks users into a video website.
Ambulances Rush Into Justin Bieber's Calabasas Property/Reuters
The scam came just a few weeks after the 19-year-old pop sensation was arrested in Miami on charges of driving under the influence (DUI) and drag racing in a Lamborghini.
The Facebook message said that the accident happened when the boy was on the way to school along with his sister.
"Breaking News: Justin Bieber Did it Again!! This time it's OVER...DUI," read the title of the video.
"Justine Bieber [sic] did it again! this time his CAREER is over.. He accidentaly killed a 7-Year-Old Boy that was walking to school with 12-Year-Old Sister..Police Investigate that bieber is positive in DUI," read the description.
However, this message circulating on Facebook is nothing but a scam, and Justin Bieber didn't kill a child.
According to Hoax Slayer: "The message is a scam designed to trick people into allowing a rogue app to send out spam messages on their behalf. The message is apparently an underhand attempt to promote a "trending video" website" and "suggests internet users not to click any links that it contains."
Hoax Slayer goes to say that the message is a scam designed to trick users into installing a rogue app that will spam out more of the same scam messages via Facebook. Links provided in the message take users to a page that has video on Bieber's recent arrest for DUI.
Internet users, who have installed the app, can uninstall it by removing it from the "App" section of their Facebook accounts.
The truth is Bieber was not involved in any accident, though he was arrested in Miami Beach last month and was charged for DUI, driving with an expired license and resisting arrest without violence. Police said that he was under the influence of drugs when the incident happened, and the singer too apparently told the police that he had consumed beer, anti-depressants pills and smoked marijuana.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown