Michael Sam Gay: Missouri Tigers Defensive Lineman Ex-Boyfriend an Athlete, Not Football Player
By Vanessa Francisco | February 10, 2014 8:48 PM EST
2013 All-American Missouri DE revealed he was gay. Sam said he went to his teammates in summer of 2013, saying he wanted to expose his sexual orientation publicly on his own terms. "I just wanted to make sure I could tell my story how I want to tell it," Sam told the New York Times. Sam told his teammates in a team-building exercise during training camp. Every member of the team was asked to reveal something about themselves that the team did not know. When he did, it appeared that his teammates knew it all along anyway.
Sam said he has never had any problems with his teammates, who knew that he was simply a Missouri football player who just happens to be gay. He also told ESPN that he previously dated a fellow Missouri athlete, but not a football player.
"I knew from a young age that I was attracted to men," Sam said. "I did not know if it was only a phase. I did not want to say, 'Hey, I may be gay. I may be bi.' I just did not know. I wanted to figure out who I was and make sure I was comfortable. I did not tell anyone growing up." Sam was raised in Hitchcock, a small town in Texas. He said his upbringing was full of adversity.
"I endured a lot in the past. I saw my older brother get killed from a gunshot wound, I did not know that my oldest sister died when she was only a baby and that I never got the chance to see her. My second brother was missing in 1998 and my little sister and I were the last to see him. My older brothers have been inside and out of jail since 8th grade. Now both of them are in jail. Telling the world I am gay is nothing compared to that," Sam said.
The NFL has issued a statement on the news, saying: "We admire Michael Sam's honesty and courage. He is a football player. Any player with determination and ability can succeed in the NFL."
Sam added, "I am not afraid to tell the whole world who I am. I am Michael Sam. I am a college graduate. I am African American and I am gay. I am comfortable in my skin."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge