Michael Sam Gay: Missouri Tigers Defensive Lineman Ex-Boyfriend an Athlete, Not Football Player
By Vanessa Francisco | February 10, 2014 8:48 PM EST
2013 All-American Missouri DE revealed he was gay. Sam said he went to his teammates in summer of 2013, saying he wanted to expose his sexual orientation publicly on his own terms. "I just wanted to make sure I could tell my story how I want to tell it," Sam told the New York Times. Sam told his teammates in a team-building exercise during training camp. Every member of the team was asked to reveal something about themselves that the team did not know. When he did, it appeared that his teammates knew it all along anyway.
Sam said he has never had any problems with his teammates, who knew that he was simply a Missouri football player who just happens to be gay. He also told ESPN that he previously dated a fellow Missouri athlete, but not a football player.
"I knew from a young age that I was attracted to men," Sam said. "I did not know if it was only a phase. I did not want to say, 'Hey, I may be gay. I may be bi.' I just did not know. I wanted to figure out who I was and make sure I was comfortable. I did not tell anyone growing up." Sam was raised in Hitchcock, a small town in Texas. He said his upbringing was full of adversity.
"I endured a lot in the past. I saw my older brother get killed from a gunshot wound, I did not know that my oldest sister died when she was only a baby and that I never got the chance to see her. My second brother was missing in 1998 and my little sister and I were the last to see him. My older brothers have been inside and out of jail since 8th grade. Now both of them are in jail. Telling the world I am gay is nothing compared to that," Sam said.
The NFL has issued a statement on the news, saying: "We admire Michael Sam's honesty and courage. He is a football player. Any player with determination and ability can succeed in the NFL."
Sam added, "I am not afraid to tell the whole world who I am. I am Michael Sam. I am a college graduate. I am African American and I am gay. I am comfortable in my skin."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]