Shia LaBeouf and Eric Cantona - Sardines Chased by the Seagulls
By Johnlee Varghese | February 10, 2014 7:19 PM EST
Football genius and poet Eric Cantona had in 1995 delivered one of the most famous phrases football will ever come to know. And after almost 19 years, once again the immortal and completely baffling words: "When seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea" came back to haunt everyone.
Shia LaBeouf stormed out of a press conference for Lars von Trier's "Nymphomaniac" on Sunday after uttering the lines of Cantona.
Baffling as the phrase might sound, it doesn't need a genius to figure out the meaning of the comment first made by the French footballer and now repeated by the "Nymphomaniac" star.
How Cantona came to uttering the words will offer better understanding of the meaning of the phrase.
Cantona attracted headlines and controversy worldwide in 1995, after attacking a spectator with a 'kung-fu' style kick, which was followed by a series of punches. The spectator Matthew Simmons had used the words, "F*** off back to France, you French motherf****r". Following the brawl, Cantona was arrested and convicted for assault. At first he was sentenced to be imprisoned for two weeks, however, later it was revoked to 120 hours of community services.
It was then breaking his silence after the verdict, Cantona uttered the phrase to the assembled media.
There are two meanings, first one is directed against the press and the media that was hounding Cantona over the controversy. The seagulls, which is the press looking for their scoops that is the sardines. At other level, Cantona is also talking to himself and telling himself to make right of the Matthew Simmons incident and the aftermath of it that had caused much 'pain' to the footballer.
Now one would wonder what is LaBeouf trying to convey with his use of Cantona's phrase and the paperbag gimmick. At the Berlin Film Festival the 27-year-old star of "Transformers" and "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" put on a black tuxedo and bow tie - and had a paper bag on which was written "I AM NOT FAMOUS ANYMORE."
He is simply saying that he wants to be left alone and not hounded by the media.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘Drunk Girl in Public' Actress Apologises; Actor Tells Dr. Drew He Thought It Was Comedy Skit
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports