Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 2/10/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | February 10, 2014 6:51 PM EST
The Australian share market had a solid start to the trading week, on the back of solid gains on Wall Street on Friday night.
January non-farm payrolls (jobs) numbers were released on Friday in the US and came in weaker than expected, however the unemployment rate dropped to a five year low of 6.6 per cent thanks to a pick-up in private sector employment.
Wall Street (Photo: Reuters)
Gains from mining and banking players helped out market today with the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) adding one per cent by close to 5236.5 points.
In company news, OzForex Group (OFX) has confirmed it is in talks to potentially acquire UK rival HiFX Group. OFX shares rose almost 6 per cent today to $3.17.
Childcare centre operator G8 Education Limited (GEM ) rose 6.4 per cent to $3.50 after announcing it planned to expand its portfolio.
Services provider Forge Group (FGE) again showed volatility, rising almost 12 per cent to 91.5 cents. FGE shares have dropped 47.4 per cent so far this year.
On the market overall, a total of 1.7 billion shares changed hands, worth $4.2 billion. 511 were up, 421 were down and 392 were unchanged.
At 4.30pm AEDT the SFE 200 Futures Index was at 5168, up 46 points.
The Dow Jones Futures Index was at 15,739.
The Australian dollar was buying US89.37c, £0.5466 and €65.6c.
No major economic data is due for release on global markets tonight.
Tomorrow hearing implant maker Cochlear (COH) and global manufacturer Bradken (BKN) are due to release earnings.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports