Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 2/10/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | February 10, 2014 6:51 PM EST
The Australian share market had a solid start to the trading week, on the back of solid gains on Wall Street on Friday night.
January non-farm payrolls (jobs) numbers were released on Friday in the US and came in weaker than expected, however the unemployment rate dropped to a five year low of 6.6 per cent thanks to a pick-up in private sector employment.
Wall Street (Photo: Reuters)
Gains from mining and banking players helped out market today with the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) adding one per cent by close to 5236.5 points.
In company news, OzForex Group (OFX) has confirmed it is in talks to potentially acquire UK rival HiFX Group. OFX shares rose almost 6 per cent today to $3.17.
Childcare centre operator G8 Education Limited (GEM ) rose 6.4 per cent to $3.50 after announcing it planned to expand its portfolio.
Services provider Forge Group (FGE) again showed volatility, rising almost 12 per cent to 91.5 cents. FGE shares have dropped 47.4 per cent so far this year.
On the market overall, a total of 1.7 billion shares changed hands, worth $4.2 billion. 511 were up, 421 were down and 392 were unchanged.
At 4.30pm AEDT the SFE 200 Futures Index was at 5168, up 46 points.
The Dow Jones Futures Index was at 15,739.
The Australian dollar was buying US89.37c, £0.5466 and €65.6c.
No major economic data is due for release on global markets tonight.
Tomorrow hearing implant maker Cochlear (COH) and global manufacturer Bradken (BKN) are due to release earnings.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 30, 2014
- Environment Ministry OKs $2.2B North Galilee Basin Rail Project On 23 Conditions
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 30, 2014
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate