Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 2/10/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | February 10, 2014 6:51 PM EST
The Australian share market had a solid start to the trading week, on the back of solid gains on Wall Street on Friday night.
January non-farm payrolls (jobs) numbers were released on Friday in the US and came in weaker than expected, however the unemployment rate dropped to a five year low of 6.6 per cent thanks to a pick-up in private sector employment.
Wall Street (Photo: Reuters)
Gains from mining and banking players helped out market today with the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) adding one per cent by close to 5236.5 points.
In company news, OzForex Group (OFX) has confirmed it is in talks to potentially acquire UK rival HiFX Group. OFX shares rose almost 6 per cent today to $3.17.
Childcare centre operator G8 Education Limited (GEM ) rose 6.4 per cent to $3.50 after announcing it planned to expand its portfolio.
Services provider Forge Group (FGE) again showed volatility, rising almost 12 per cent to 91.5 cents. FGE shares have dropped 47.4 per cent so far this year.
On the market overall, a total of 1.7 billion shares changed hands, worth $4.2 billion. 511 were up, 421 were down and 392 were unchanged.
At 4.30pm AEDT the SFE 200 Futures Index was at 5168, up 46 points.
The Dow Jones Futures Index was at 15,739.
The Australian dollar was buying US89.37c, £0.5466 and €65.6c.
No major economic data is due for release on global markets tonight.
Tomorrow hearing implant maker Cochlear (COH) and global manufacturer Bradken (BKN) are due to release earnings.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS