Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 2/10/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | February 10, 2014 6:51 PM EST
The Australian share market had a solid start to the trading week, on the back of solid gains on Wall Street on Friday night.
January non-farm payrolls (jobs) numbers were released on Friday in the US and came in weaker than expected, however the unemployment rate dropped to a five year low of 6.6 per cent thanks to a pick-up in private sector employment.
Wall Street (Photo: Reuters)
Gains from mining and banking players helped out market today with the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) adding one per cent by close to 5236.5 points.
In company news, OzForex Group (OFX) has confirmed it is in talks to potentially acquire UK rival HiFX Group. OFX shares rose almost 6 per cent today to $3.17.
Childcare centre operator G8 Education Limited (GEM ) rose 6.4 per cent to $3.50 after announcing it planned to expand its portfolio.
Services provider Forge Group (FGE) again showed volatility, rising almost 12 per cent to 91.5 cents. FGE shares have dropped 47.4 per cent so far this year.
On the market overall, a total of 1.7 billion shares changed hands, worth $4.2 billion. 511 were up, 421 were down and 392 were unchanged.
At 4.30pm AEDT the SFE 200 Futures Index was at 5168, up 46 points.
The Dow Jones Futures Index was at 15,739.
The Australian dollar was buying US89.37c, £0.5466 and €65.6c.
No major economic data is due for release on global markets tonight.
Tomorrow hearing implant maker Cochlear (COH) and global manufacturer Bradken (BKN) are due to release earnings.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales