Message in a Bottle Found in Canada After 58 Years at Atlantic
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 10, 2014 6:28 PM EST
It took 58 years to discover a message in a bottle which was released in 1956.
The bottle, which scientist Dean Bumpus released from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution on Cape Cod, has been discovered by biologist Warren Joyce in Canada. It travelled nearly 300 miles in the Atlantic Ocean from where it started its journey. The bottle was found in a pile of debris, but for Mr Joyce, it was no less than a treasure.
The Associated Press reported that the bottle was one of the thousands others which were dumped in the Atlantic Ocean from 1956 to 1972. It was a part of Mr Bumpus' research of surface and bottom currents. Around 10 per cent of those 300,000 bottles have already been discovered over the years.
Mr Joyce discovered the drift bottle on Jan 20. It was on Sable Island which is around 185 miles in the southeast of Halifax. He was quick to contact scientists who were working at Woods Hole. He was responsible enough give them the information Mr Bumpus had wanted, as mentioned in the postcard in the bottle. Mr Bumpus also promised in the message that the person responsible for returning the bottle would get a reward of a 50-cent piece.
Mr Joyce said in a good humour that he was not willing to accept the reward, but it was already on the way. According to Mr Joyce, 75 per cent of the surface of the bottle is sand-blasted. However, it was still possible to read the message: "Break This Bottle." When the rubber stopper was pried off, a note was found inside. Mr Bumpus explained in the note that the bottle was one among many others released in the ocean for research purpose.
The number of Mr Bumpus' postcard was used to track the release date of the bottle. It was April 26, 1956 when the bottle was released to the ocean. Around 270,000 bottles are still to be found. Mr Bumpus passed away in 2002.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- UFO With Changing Colours Sighted By Lower Paxton Township Police In Pennsylvania
- Musician Tom DeLonge Encounters Multiple UFOs in San Diego
- New Nail Polish Changes Colour When Exposed to Date-Rape Drugs: Helps Women Safety
- A Fish That Walks; Scientists Find A Fish That Does Better On Land Than Water[Video]
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko