Goa Expects Iron Ore Mining to Restart Before Monsoon
February 10, 2014 6:18 PM EST
Goa expects to resume iron ore mining before monsoon, its chief minister Manohar Parrikar said on Monday, as the country's top iron ore exporting state has taken action against illegal mining that prompted a ban in 2012.
The share price of African Minerals (AML), a mid-cap iron ore mining company, has rocketed over 50% after China’s Tianjin Materials and Equipment Group Corporation (Tewoo) announced $990m deal (Photo: Reuters)
Monsoon in Goa normally begins in June and extends until September.
The ban in Goa had frozen shipments that reached about 50 million tonnes in the 2010/11 fiscal year. The Supreme Court is hearing an appeal to resume mining in the state.
Goa can produce 25 million tonnes of iron ore per year on a sustainable basis, he said.
The state's reserves of the ore are estimated to be 3 billion tonnes as against the previous estimate of 1.2 billion tonnes, as the Indian Bureau of Mines has now permitted exploration of lower grades, Parrikar told business leaders at an industry conference.
Restrictions aimed at clamping down on illegal mining have slashed output and shipments from India, previously the world's third-largest exporter with over $7 billion a year of iron ore supplied mostly to China's steelmakers.
The court ruled on Monday that 11.46 million tonnes of inventory held by miners in Goa could be auctioned.
The ore is likely to be exported as it is low-grade material unsuitable for most Indian steel mills, analysts said. The volume is a fraction of the 1.1 billion tonne iron ore export market so it is unlikely to have much impact on international prices, analysts and traders said.
Sellers would have to offer steep discounts to move the ore, given plentiful global supplies and thin appetite for lower grades, they said.
"With the tougher environmental regulations this year in China, that ore is getting a lot more difficult to use, so what we're seeing is mills chasing better-quality material," said Graeme Train, a commodity analyst at Macquarie in Shanghai.
"I think the Chinese are less interested in it than they have been in the past. I think that the discount on this low-grade material will be much wider than it was in 2012," he said.
Spot iron ore prices .IO62-CNI=SI have fallen about 15 percent from this year's peak of near $160 a tonne as a slower economy curbs Chinese demand, while Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton continue to increase output.
The court also set up a panel to determine an output limit for Goa. The panel is expected to submit an interim report by February 15, 2014.
"We are setting up a six-member expert committee to study the cap on production based on carrying capacity of roads and such," Justice A.K. Patnaik said.
While analysts expect a gradual recovery in Indian exports over the next two years, the pace is likely to be modest and leave it far from the record high of more than 117 million tonnes set in the fiscal year through March 2010.
Macquarie's Train forecast Indian exports of 25 million tonnes in 2014 and possibly up to 40 million the year after.
"We don't see it really going higher than that at this stage, partly because of the restrictions on production. Generally, we see a decline in the appetite for very low-grade ores so I don't think we can see the same kind of volumes coming out of Goa," he said.
Sesa Goa Ltd (SESA.NS), India's top private-sector mining company and a unit of London-listed Vedanta Resources Plc (VED.L), would be the biggest beneficiary if mining resumed in Goa, as it is the largest producer in the state.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Kate Middleton, Kelly Brook Have 'Most Perfect Breasts' While Kim Kardashian, Rihanna Have 'Least Desirable' Breasts, New Survey Finds [SEE PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Robin Williams Confessed To Loving Billy Connolly Like A Brother In A Final Goodbye Call
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L