'The Vampire Diaries' Star Ian Somerhalder Tweets About Lands' End Banning Angora Fur After Seeing PETA Video of Fur Farm Cruelty [WATCH VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | February 10, 2014 4:19 PM EST
"The Vampire Diaries" (TVD) star Ian Somerhalder tweeted about fashion retailer Lands' End banning the sale of items with Angora fur after seeing a PETA video of Angora fur farm cruelty. Somerhalder is a certified animal lover and the co-founder of the Ian Somerhalder Foundation (ISF) which was started to help animals, the environment and people as well as educate and empower mankind to make compassionate and sustainable choices for the planet earth and its inhabitants.
Actor Ian Somerhalder arrives at the 2014 People's Choice Awards in Los Angeles, California January 8, 2014. REUTERS/Kevork Djsnsezian
Land's End is the latest clothing retailer to ban the use of Angora fur. Other brands that have already permanently banned Angora fur/wool from their products include Forever 21, H&M, Mango, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Eddie Bauer, IZOD, Marks & Spencer, New Look, Express, Inc., Limited Brands and QVC, Inc.
Somerhalder also posted a link to a Huffington Post report about Lands' End and Angora fur.
The Huffington Post talked to Lands' End company spokesperson Michele Casper about its recent decision to ban Angora fur/wool from their inventory.
"We take the treatment of animals very seriously at Lands' End," said Casper in The Huffington Post report.
"We have made the decision that we will not be sourcing or developing any new merchandise at Lands' End that includes Angora," added Casper.
According to The Huffington Post, Angora fur is plucked or shorn from Angora rabbits about once every three months. It is used by clothing companies to make sweaters, earmuffs, scarves, hats and coat linings because Angora rabbit fur is warm and silky.
Lands' End reportedly decided to ban Angora fur after seeing a video of Angora rabbit fur farms in China from the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
PETA shot a video featuring Angora fur farms in China which shows how Angora rabbits are cruelly treated just to get their precious fur. The Angora rabbits are seen having their fur torn out mercilessly by the fur farm workers as they scream helplessly. The PETA video also shows how dirty the fur farm cages the Angora rabbits are forced to live in.
PETA also announced the news of Lands' End banning Angora fur in a press release on its official Web site.
According to PETA, Gap Inc., which owns Old Navy, Banana Republic and Athleta also said that it has "no plans" to obtain angora wool. But, PETA is still convincing Gap Inc. to permanently ban products with angora fur.
Check out "The Vampire Diaries" (TVD) star Ian Somerhalder's tweet about Lands' End banning angora fur after seeing a PETA Video of fur farm cruelty.
— ian somerhalder (@iansomerhalder) February 6, 2014
China's Angora Fur Trade Horror: Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger Join Ban (Click HERE)
Angora Fur Trade: The Horrifying Rabbit Torture that Creates your Christmas Jumper [GRAPHIC PHOTOS] (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report