'The Vampire Diaries' Star Ian Somerhalder Tweets About Lands' End Banning Angora Fur After Seeing PETA Video of Fur Farm Cruelty [WATCH VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | February 10, 2014 4:19 PM EST
"The Vampire Diaries" (TVD) star Ian Somerhalder tweeted about fashion retailer Lands' End banning the sale of items with Angora fur after seeing a PETA video of Angora fur farm cruelty. Somerhalder is a certified animal lover and the co-founder of the Ian Somerhalder Foundation (ISF) which was started to help animals, the environment and people as well as educate and empower mankind to make compassionate and sustainable choices for the planet earth and its inhabitants.
Actor Ian Somerhalder arrives at the 2014 People's Choice Awards in Los Angeles, California January 8, 2014. REUTERS/Kevork Djsnsezian
Land's End is the latest clothing retailer to ban the use of Angora fur. Other brands that have already permanently banned Angora fur/wool from their products include Forever 21, H&M, Mango, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Eddie Bauer, IZOD, Marks & Spencer, New Look, Express, Inc., Limited Brands and QVC, Inc.
Somerhalder also posted a link to a Huffington Post report about Lands' End and Angora fur.
The Huffington Post talked to Lands' End company spokesperson Michele Casper about its recent decision to ban Angora fur/wool from their inventory.
"We take the treatment of animals very seriously at Lands' End," said Casper in The Huffington Post report.
"We have made the decision that we will not be sourcing or developing any new merchandise at Lands' End that includes Angora," added Casper.
According to The Huffington Post, Angora fur is plucked or shorn from Angora rabbits about once every three months. It is used by clothing companies to make sweaters, earmuffs, scarves, hats and coat linings because Angora rabbit fur is warm and silky.
Lands' End reportedly decided to ban Angora fur after seeing a video of Angora rabbit fur farms in China from the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
PETA shot a video featuring Angora fur farms in China which shows how Angora rabbits are cruelly treated just to get their precious fur. The Angora rabbits are seen having their fur torn out mercilessly by the fur farm workers as they scream helplessly. The PETA video also shows how dirty the fur farm cages the Angora rabbits are forced to live in.
PETA also announced the news of Lands' End banning Angora fur in a press release on its official Web site.
According to PETA, Gap Inc., which owns Old Navy, Banana Republic and Athleta also said that it has "no plans" to obtain angora wool. But, PETA is still convincing Gap Inc. to permanently ban products with angora fur.
Check out "The Vampire Diaries" (TVD) star Ian Somerhalder's tweet about Lands' End banning angora fur after seeing a PETA Video of fur farm cruelty.
— ian somerhalder (@iansomerhalder) February 6, 2014
China's Angora Fur Trade Horror: Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger Join Ban (Click HERE)
Angora Fur Trade: The Horrifying Rabbit Torture that Creates your Christmas Jumper [GRAPHIC PHOTOS] (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS