Missouri's Michael Sam Admits Sexual Orientation, Set to Become First Openly Gay Player in the NFL
By James Patrick Quizon | February 10, 2014 2:32 PM EST
No more secrets before he turns pro. Missouri’s Michael Sam has admitted that he is gay after publicly admitting his sexual orientation via the New York Times on Sunday.
Missouri Tigers defensive lineman Michael Sam (52) reacts after a play during the second half against the Oklahoma State Cowboys in the 2014 Cotton Bowl at AT&T Stadium in Arlington
“I just want to make sure I could tell my story the way I want to tell it,” said Sam in the interview. “I just want to own my truth.”
While he has gone public in this revelation, his teammates at Missouri already knew about him being gay after a team-building exercise at a practice during a season. Sam said that he never had problems with his Tigers teammates after the disclosing the truth and that they have accepted him for who he is.
The 6-foot-1, 260 pound defensive end is hoping he’d get the same treatment when he starts playing in the pros.
“I’m not naive,” Sam said to ESPN.COM. “I know this is a huge deal and I know how important this is. But my role as of right now is to train for the combine and play in the NFL."
Sam is expected to be drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft and is projected to go somewhere between the third and fifth rounds. If and when drafted, he becomes the first openly gay player while playing in the NFL.
Other NFL athletes who have admitted they were gay were Kwame Harris and Esera Tuaolo but both came out after their retirement. Jason Collins (National Basketball Association) and Robbie Rogers (Major League Soccer) are some of the gay players who have come out most recently.
Twitter, as expected, exploded with the news with varied but mostly positive reactions with Sam’s revelation:
Shout out to my former Teammate Michael Sam. Though its old news to us its a Great move by a great guy. Wish u much success in the future!
— Trey Hobson™ (@TreyHob21) February 10, 2014
All SportsCenter wants to talk about is Michael Sam. I don't care if he's gay or not, show me highlights. — Elipses Corter (@MasonRic3) February 10, 2014
I give a huge amount of respect to Michael Sam, and really hope his future NFL teammates treat him like everyone else.
— Ryan Amedeo (@R_Amedeo15) February 10, 2014
ya know i commend Michael Sam for coming out before the NFL Draft even though i'm not gay i think thats pretty courageous act #respect
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists