Arsenal FC Transfer News: FC Porto Defender might Head to the Emirates as Gunners are in Clandestine Discussions with His Agent
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 10, 2014 2:23 PM EST
Arsenal, who are looking to beef up their back-line, are reported to be having clandestine discussions with the agent of FC Porto defender Eliaquim Mangala.
Arsenal are reported to be holding discussions with Eliaquim Mangala's agent for a possible move this coming summer
The dynamic pair of Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny in the heart of the Gunners' defence has been doing wonders, but a shocking 4-1 defeat against Liverpool on Saturday might have prompted Arsene Wenger to add more competition in the centre-back position, to avoid complacency.
Moreover, former first-choice full-back and skipper Thomas Vermaelen is finding it hard to redeem his place in the starting eleven after suffering series of injuries, and is considering on moving on to the next chapter of his playing career.
Mangala is also eyed by top-tier clubs like Juventus, Manchester United, and Manchester City, with Chelsea suggested to have backed-out of the race after capturing compatriot Kurt Zouma from Saint-Etienne.
The 22-year-old has already breached into the France senior's squad, making his debut in 2013, following strings of impressive performances with Porto.
He is currently valued at £22million, but Arsenal is rumoured to be willing to offer £32million to secure his services.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- Roger Federer Hailed Swiss Sportsman Of The Year, Beating Stan Wawrinka
- Hoax Alert: Floyd Mayweather Didn’t Die Of Drug Overdose
- NFL News: Chicago Bears Likely To Fire Head Coach Marc Trestman At End Of NFL Season
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’