Teens Gang Rape 14-year-old Girl in Sydney
By Athena Yenko | February 10, 2014 12:00 PM EST
A 14-year-old girl in Sydney was raped by a group of six men reportedly described as Africans in their late teens to early 20's.
Police are now on a manhunt for the suspects.
The girl was on her way at about 11 pm on a Saturday. She was walking along Bill Colbourne Reserve in Doonside. One suspect first approached her, grabbed her to the ground and gained carnal knowledge of her by force.
After, the man's five friends lined up to rape her as well.
The girl's parents were horrified by what was suffered by their precious daughter.
Acting police inspector Shane Conrad interviewed them.
"They're horrified as to what happened to their daughter," Mr Conrad told Fairfax Radio Network.
After the horrific experience, the shocked girl managed to walk home. They called on the police. She was immediately taken to the hospital and given proper medical attention.
State Crime Command's sex crimes are now investigating the identities of the suspects.
The case of the girl was just one of the alarmingly growing rate of sexual assault happening in Australia.
In 2011, statistics from UN revealed that the rate per 100,000 population for Australia is given as 30, seventh among the 72 nations listed - one of the highest reported number of rapes per capita in the world.
Women's Safety Survey in 1994 conducted by Australian Centre for the Study of Sexual Assault found that:
- Women in the 18-24 year age bracket were more likely to be assaulted than women in other age-groups: 19% of women aged 18-24 had experienced sexual violence in the past 12 months, compared with 6.8% of women aged 35-44 and 1.2% of women aged 55 and over.
- Only 15% of women who identified an incident of sexual assault in the 12 months prior to the survey reported to police.
- An estimated 1.2 million women in Australia aged 18 and over had experienced sexual violence or its threat since the age of 15. More specifically, one in six adult women in Australia had experienced sexual assault since the age of 15 years.
- 45% of women sexually assaulted since the age of 15 had experienced more than one incident.
- Sexual assaults occurring since the age of 15 were most commonly committed by a man known to the victim, and usually occurred in a home.
- Onein 10 women who had ever been in a relationship disclosed an incident of sexual violence by an intimate partner.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- No Charges Against 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl Who Accidentally Shoots to Death Arizona Gun Instructor (VIDEO)
- Schapelle Corby’s Boyfriend Ben Panangian Arrested on Drug Charges
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Judge Redfoo Hurt After Attacker Threw Glass At Him in Sydney Hotel
- Court Rejects Corinna Schumacher’s Lawsuit Against German Media That Published Her Photos En Route To Michael Schumacher’s Hospital
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko