UFC Ends Thiago Silva’s Contract Due to Assault Case
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 10, 2014 11:46 AM EST
Brazilian mixed martial artist Thiago Silva will not be fighting in the octagon ring for now after Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has terminated his contract. According to ESPN, UFC made the official announcement on Friday following Silva's recent brush up with the law.
On Thursday, Silva first got involved in an altercation with people at Pablo Popovitch Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) Academy, a jiu-jitsu school located at Fort Lauderdale in Florida. He was reportedly armed and threatened the people at the said MMA school.
Reportedly, the 31-year-old fighter had an argument with his wife of 13 years, Thaysa, inside his vehicle which was parked outside the MMA school.
Back in January, Silva's wife Thaysa already filed a restraining order against him. TMZ obtained the documents that Thaysa filed to the court stating that she is scared for her life.
"I am not safe in my own house," Thaysa stated.
"I am very afraid of him."
According to TMZ, the restraining order was granted before Thiago confronted her again on Thursday at the said MMA school.
Silva ordered his wife to get Pablo, her current boyfriend, and gave her 10 seconds to bring the Jui-Jitsu instructor outside. Silva went on and told his wife that if she fails to get Popovitch out, he would start shooting people inside the gym.
Popovitch came out but immediately fled back inside the school to call 911.
Then, Silva went to his residence and barred himself in. He only surrendered after a Special Weapons And Tactics (SWAT) team was called in to get him out.
Silva is currently detailed in jail without bail because of his potential flight risk. He has been charged with aggravating assault, aggravated battery, possession of a deadly weapon, and resisting arrest without violence.
Sky News reported that Silva's lawyer, Scott Saul, has entered a not guilty plea for the UFC fighter.
"He's (Silva) upset because he's been humiliated and he's in jail," said Mr Saul.
Saul stated that Silva is being treated unlawfully, especially because of the fact that he is a UFC fighter.
"He's been very unfairly treated as some type of aggressive animal."
According to Saul, Silva never laid his hands on his wife ever. There were no signs that he had hit her. Saul said that Silva was a perfect gentleman when the two of them were talking.
"It's very unfortunate that this had to happen," Popovitch wrote.
"The last thing I wanted us to see Thiago in this manner."
"I wish him all the best and hope this will soon be over."
Had he not been terminated, Silva was slated to fight at UFC 171 in March.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- DeMarcus Cousins, Omar Casspi Lift Undermanned Sacramento Kings Over New Orleans Pelicans, 99-89
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast