Australian Stock Market Report – Morning 2/10/14
By Craig James, CommSec Chief Economist | February 10, 2014 11:30 AM EST
US MORNING REPORT
In US economic news, non-farm payrolls rose by 113,000 in January, short of forecasts for a gain of 185,000. But private payrolls rose by 142,000 and the unemployment rate fell to a five-year low of 6.6%. Average earnings rose by 0.2% as expected. Consumer credit rose by US$18.76 billion in December, above forecasts for a gain of US$12 billion.
Traders work on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (Reuters)
European shares rose on Friday. Investors bet that US jobs growth would lift in coming months while they appeared less fearful about prospects for emerging nations. An upbeat outlook from ArcelorMittal boosted mining companies. The FTSEurofirst 300 index rose by 0.8% with the UK FTSE up by 0.2% and the German Dax higher by 0.5%. Mining shares also lifted in London trade with BHP Billiton shares up by 1.3% while Rio Tinto rose by 2.1%.
US sharemarkets rose on Friday. While job numbers disappointed, traders bet that growth would pick up in coming months. And volatility slumped with the Vix or ´´fear gauge´´ down 11.3%. The US Dow Jones rose by 165 points or 1.1% with the S&P 500 up by 1.3% while the Nasdaq gained 68 points or 1.7%. Over the week the Dow rose by 0.6% with the S&P 500 up 0.8% and Nasdaq up 0.5%.
US long-term treasury prices rose on Friday (yields lower) as job growth disappointed and bargain hunters snapped up stock after big falls over the week. US 2 year yields fell by 2 points to 0.307% while US 10 year yields fell by 2 points to 2.687%. Over the week US 2 year yields rose by 2 points and US 10 year yields rose by 11 points.
Major currencies gyrated against the greenback on Friday in response to US jobs data and ended European and US mixed. The Euro rose from lows near US$1.3550 to US$1.3640, and was near US$1.3630 in afternoon US trade. The Aussie dollar rose from lows near US89.30c to highs near US89.95c, and was near US89.60c in afternoon US trade. And the Japanese yen held between 101.50 yen per US dollar to JPY102.51 and was trading near JPY102.33 in afternoon US trade.
World oil prices rose on Friday. European refiners reduced processing runs; some refiners started to shut down plants for maintenance work; cold winter weather persisted on the US east coast; and the US jobless rate fell. Brent crude rose by US$2.38 or 2.2% to US$109.57 a barrel while US Nymex crude rose by US$2.04 or 2.1% to US$99.88 a barrel. Over the week Brent rose by 3% and Nymex lifted 2.5%.
Base metal prices rose up to 1.1% on the London Metal Exchange on Friday with nickel leading the way while copper, lead and tin rose just 0.2%. Over the week metals rose between 0.3-3.4% with lead up the least and zinc up the most. The gold price rose on Friday with the Comex gold futures up by US$5.70 or 0.5% to US$1,262.90 per ounce. Gold rose 1.9% over the week. The iron ore price fell by 10c on Friday to US$120.90 a tonne and fell by US$1.70 over the week.
Ahead: In Australia and the US no major economic data is expected on Monday.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers