Sochi Olympics 2014: Another Russian Booboo – Toilet Door Jams, Prompting American Bobsledder Johnny Quinn to Smash Door
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 10, 2014 11:19 AM EST
Toilet humour stories from Sochi do not seem to run out. After the viral photos on twin toilets in one room and weird toilet rules including a No Fishing sign on a poster, here's another toilet news from Russia.
A torchbearer holds up the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games torch atop a boat during the torch relay in Lake Baikal in this handout from the Organizing Committee Sochi 2014 released on November 23, 2013. REUTERS/Organizing Committee Sochi 2014/Handout via Reuters
Sochi Olympics 2014: Will Sexy Photos of Russian Female Athletes Counter the Bad Press Putin Got and Flak Over Failures in Winter Olympic Staging? (VIDEOS)
On Friday, American bobsledder Johnny Quinn locked himself on his bathroom. He did not bring his mobile phone inside, so Quinn broke the door to be able to get out.
In a tweet, he wrote, "I used by bobsled push training to break out."
Here is the image of the broken bathroom door.
However, U.S. skeleton athlete John Daly found it difficult to believe that Daly does not bring his mobile phone inside the bathroom. He tweeted, "seriously Johnny who goes to the bathroom with out a cell phone? It's 2014 brother."
The horror stories of Sochi continue to spread from journalists to sportsmen to a builder.
The Australian, which calls the ongoing Winter Games hosted by Russian resort city Sochi as "The One Where Everything Was Terrible," reports on the experience of Johnnie Balfour, a snowboard and ski course builder.
He wrote about his experience on his blog, but deleted it later. However, before he could remove it, someone had shared the blog on Reddit.
Mr Balfour was in Sochi in mid-January. He described the hotel where he stayed as looking like a council housing estate in England and appeared like it was a 50-year-old building, not 2 years old. It also smelled of concrete dust.
Upon arrival, a hotel staff gave him two sheets, a pillow case and a roll of toilet paper. He confirms what other Sochi visitors have written later that the water coming out of the tap was yellowish-brown, while the toilet flushes muddy water.
Moreover, there was no hot water, the floor had dirt and mud, there was urine all over the toilet seat and he even feared using the water to brush his teeth. And definitely, there was no Internet service.
However, on the plus side, he had reliable transportation from the Sochi airport to the Games site. His friend, who was also in Sochi, got in a bus from the airport and was ordered to alight in the middle of nowhere in pouring rain. It took almost an hour before another bus appeared, which brought the poor man to the bus depot.
Mr Balfour disclosed that Russian Olympic officials ordered him and his partners to open bank accounts, and even if they refused, the accounts were opened in the names. Given the trip to hell that he went through, the builder doubts he would even be paid for the services he rendered.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date