Sochi Olympics 2014: Another Russian Booboo – Toilet Door Jams, Prompting American Bobsledder Johnny Quinn to Smash Door
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 10, 2014 11:19 AM EST
Toilet humour stories from Sochi do not seem to run out. After the viral photos on twin toilets in one room and weird toilet rules including a No Fishing sign on a poster, here's another toilet news from Russia.
A torchbearer holds up the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games torch atop a boat during the torch relay in Lake Baikal in this handout from the Organizing Committee Sochi 2014 released on November 23, 2013. REUTERS/Organizing Committee Sochi 2014/Handout via Reuters
Sochi Olympics 2014: Will Sexy Photos of Russian Female Athletes Counter the Bad Press Putin Got and Flak Over Failures in Winter Olympic Staging? (VIDEOS)
On Friday, American bobsledder Johnny Quinn locked himself on his bathroom. He did not bring his mobile phone inside, so Quinn broke the door to be able to get out.
In a tweet, he wrote, "I used by bobsled push training to break out."
Here is the image of the broken bathroom door.
However, U.S. skeleton athlete John Daly found it difficult to believe that Daly does not bring his mobile phone inside the bathroom. He tweeted, "seriously Johnny who goes to the bathroom with out a cell phone? It's 2014 brother."
The horror stories of Sochi continue to spread from journalists to sportsmen to a builder.
The Australian, which calls the ongoing Winter Games hosted by Russian resort city Sochi as "The One Where Everything Was Terrible," reports on the experience of Johnnie Balfour, a snowboard and ski course builder.
He wrote about his experience on his blog, but deleted it later. However, before he could remove it, someone had shared the blog on Reddit.
Mr Balfour was in Sochi in mid-January. He described the hotel where he stayed as looking like a council housing estate in England and appeared like it was a 50-year-old building, not 2 years old. It also smelled of concrete dust.
Upon arrival, a hotel staff gave him two sheets, a pillow case and a roll of toilet paper. He confirms what other Sochi visitors have written later that the water coming out of the tap was yellowish-brown, while the toilet flushes muddy water.
Moreover, there was no hot water, the floor had dirt and mud, there was urine all over the toilet seat and he even feared using the water to brush his teeth. And definitely, there was no Internet service.
However, on the plus side, he had reliable transportation from the Sochi airport to the Games site. His friend, who was also in Sochi, got in a bus from the airport and was ordered to alight in the middle of nowhere in pouring rain. It took almost an hour before another bus appeared, which brought the poor man to the bus depot.
Mr Balfour disclosed that Russian Olympic officials ordered him and his partners to open bank accounts, and even if they refused, the accounts were opened in the names. Given the trip to hell that he went through, the builder doubts he would even be paid for the services he rendered.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports