Viral Video: Aussie Musician Juliet Moody’s Breastfeeding Video Gets 150,000 Hits in 1 Week
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 10, 2014 10:46 AM EST
By breastfeeding her infant in public, are lactating mothers exhibitionists?
Australian singer Juliet Moody and her group Sparrow Fold band made fun of that concept of lactating mums by releasing the song Ruin Your Day which has gone viral in the Internet with about 150,000 hits in one week.
The song hits at the dirty looks and negative comments that breastfeeding women often get when they bring out their tits while in public because their infant is hungry. While the mammary glands were primarily made to feed babies not capable of ingesting solid food yet, society has sexualised the female breast.
Porn images emphasise the large size of the female breast, while many women risk health by undergoing breast enlargement procedures just to have larger breasts perceived as attractive to men. Recently a female porn star, Elizabeth Starr, revealed she has to have her Cup O breasts removed through mastectomy because of a botched breast augmentation procedure now banned or risk her life due to complications.
YouTube/Tomo News US
Moody isn't just a singer, but a real mum of four. Her youngest child is only 11 months old. The Aussie musician recalled catty remarks or dirty looks she got because she had to ensure her baby doesn't starve.
"I've had my fair share of comments under the breath or dirty looks, but, thankfully, I've never been kicked out or told to go and sit on the toilet seat," The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Juliet.
She added, "It frustrated me that it was such as issue ... and it made me step back and say, 'What is the real problem here?' Then we thought that if we made it a bit of a joke that boobs are scary and frightening, it might make people think, 'OK, what is my actual problem with it - if I see someone feeding, what am I worried is going to happen to me?'"
If it's any consolation to Juliet and other lactating Aussie mums, they have a champion in a most unlikely ally - Pope Francis! The pontiff in January, to commemorate the Catholic feast of the Baptism of Jesus Christ, told mums who were inside the Sistine Chapel not to hesitate to breastfeed their babies if the infants were hungry.
YouTube/The Catholic TV Network
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier