Viral Video: Aussie Musician Juliet Moody’s Breastfeeding Video Gets 150,000 Hits in 1 Week
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 10, 2014 10:46 AM EST
By breastfeeding her infant in public, are lactating mothers exhibitionists?
Australian singer Juliet Moody and her group Sparrow Fold band made fun of that concept of lactating mums by releasing the song Ruin Your Day which has gone viral in the Internet with about 150,000 hits in one week.
The song hits at the dirty looks and negative comments that breastfeeding women often get when they bring out their tits while in public because their infant is hungry. While the mammary glands were primarily made to feed babies not capable of ingesting solid food yet, society has sexualised the female breast.
Porn images emphasise the large size of the female breast, while many women risk health by undergoing breast enlargement procedures just to have larger breasts perceived as attractive to men. Recently a female porn star, Elizabeth Starr, revealed she has to have her Cup O breasts removed through mastectomy because of a botched breast augmentation procedure now banned or risk her life due to complications.
YouTube/Tomo News US
Moody isn't just a singer, but a real mum of four. Her youngest child is only 11 months old. The Aussie musician recalled catty remarks or dirty looks she got because she had to ensure her baby doesn't starve.
"I've had my fair share of comments under the breath or dirty looks, but, thankfully, I've never been kicked out or told to go and sit on the toilet seat," The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Juliet.
She added, "It frustrated me that it was such as issue ... and it made me step back and say, 'What is the real problem here?' Then we thought that if we made it a bit of a joke that boobs are scary and frightening, it might make people think, 'OK, what is my actual problem with it - if I see someone feeding, what am I worried is going to happen to me?'"
If it's any consolation to Juliet and other lactating Aussie mums, they have a champion in a most unlikely ally - Pope Francis! The pontiff in January, to commemorate the Catholic feast of the Baptism of Jesus Christ, told mums who were inside the Sistine Chapel not to hesitate to breastfeed their babies if the infants were hungry.
YouTube/The Catholic TV Network
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales