Floyd Mayweather Next Fight: Amir Khan Goes Toe-to-Toe With Andre Ward, Alfredo Angulo in Sparring, Briton Says He’ Developed Strong Chin
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 10, 2014 1:02 AM EST
Great Britain's top welterweight Amir Khan is currently leading over Argentine slugger Marcos Maidana in the pool conducted by Mayweather Promotions to determine the next opponent of Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 3 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
British boxer has sparked controversy while paying tribute to the victims and families affected by the Boston Bombing.
Khan, former two-time Jr. Welterweight Champion, is viewed as a fine boxer with tremendous speed in both hands and footwork. However, many boxing analysts criticized Khan because of his lack of punching power along with his vulnerable chin.
Despite boasting a pretty solid professional boxing record (28 wins with 20 KOs), Khan is considered by pundits as nothing but a pretender. His losses against Columbian slugger Breidis Prescott in the first round of their fight in 2008 along with his fourth round TKO defeat at the hands of light welterweight kingpin Danny Garcia are signs that he doesn't possess the chin to withstand punched from elite-level fighters.
Khan could have landed the bout with Mayweather several months ago, but boxing fans seemed not happy to see Money May fighting a less credible fighter than the likes of Manny Pacquiao, Tim Bradley Maidana and Garcia.
On the other hand, there are several boxing writers and trainers who believed Khan has the capacity to beat Mayweather because of his hand speed and well-rounded boxing skills. One of them is Khan's former trainer Freddie Roach, who stressed that the Briton might have a shot at beating Mayweather.
"That's not an easy fight. I've always said Amir has the right style to beat Floyd if he fights correctly and doesn't stay in the pocket too long," Roach told Ringside Toe 2 Toe Podcast via ESPN. "I always thought he could beat him with his speed. I think he's faster than Mayweather and that's what it takes to beat him. Floyd might have his hands full on the night."
In his latest tweet on Facebook, Khan boasted that he's going to be a tough opponent for Mayweather Jr., especially now that he has developed a strong chin. The Briton said he engaged in 10 rounds of sparring against heavy punchers like Alfredo Angulo and Andre Ward, who campaigns in the middleweight and light heavyweight division.
"Another example Angulo and Ward have hit me with big shots and I've stood in front and not gone down. They carry 25 lbs over me and are big punchers. This is because I'm at my natural weight. It's in the fans hands who they want to see me fight."
If this is true, then Khan might perhaps give Mayweather some scare on May 3rd. Stay tuned boxing fans.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]