Police Kill Militant in Tunis Gunbattle, Capture Suspect
February 9, 2014 10:51 PM EST
Tunisian police killed an Islamist militant in a gunbattle in Tunis and captured three people, including one suspected of involvement in the assassination of an opposition leader last year, authorities said.
African militants (Reuters)
Hmed Malki, captured late on Saturday, is a main suspect in the killing of Mohamed Brahmi, whose death helped tip Tunisia into a political crisis, an Interior Ministry spokesman said.
It was the second major operation in Tunisia in a week after seven militants armed with suicide bomb vests and explosives were killed in a raid on a house north of the capital last week. A police officer was also killed.
Officials did not name the group involved, but Tunisian forces have cracked down on Ansar al-Sharia, which emerged after Tunisia's 2011 uprising that ousted Zine El-Abidine Ben Ali, who suppressed and jailed Islamist leaders.
Ansar al-Sharia was blamed for storming the U.S. embassy in Tunis in 2012 and has since been listed by Washington as a terrorist organisation, with ties to al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb.
The threat of Islamist militancy is one of the main challenges for the caretaker government that is in place until elections later this year, under an agreement to see Tunisia complete its transition to full democracy.
After the killing of Brahmi and another opposition leader, the ruling Islamist party Ennaha faced protests and pressure to resign and eventually agreed to step down for the technocrat government to take over.
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More