Boxing News: Juan Manuel Marquez Serious To Fight Manny Pacquiao Again, Only If…
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 9, 2014 7:39 PM EST
Juan Manuel Marquez appears to be serious in fighting his archrival Manny Pacquiao for the very last time in his career. According to Top-Rank head honcho, Marquez is open to fight the winner of the showdown between Pacquiao and reigning WBO Welterweight Champion Tim Bradley.
Manny Pacquiao will face Tim Bradley on April 12
The veteran boxing promoter revealed that Marquez might have softened his stance not to fight Pacquiao again, and is now considering a possible fifth showdown with the Filipino boxing champ, if he's able to win against Bradley in this welterweight slugfest on April 12 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
"I would love to do Pacquiao-Marquez," Arum said in the interview with Hustle Boss. "Pacquiao has to win this fight and Marquez says he'll fight him. So it's a big incentive for Pacquiao...He'll fight the winner of this fight to win the belt.
Arum said that Marquez's decision to fight the winner of Pacquiao vs. Bradley bout is coming from his desire to win another world championship belt in fifth different weight class, which would make him the first Mexican boxing warrior to do such feat.
"Marquez really wants only one thing before he retires," Arum said. "He wants to win that [WBO welterweight] title. And he has indicated to us that he would be very available to fight the winner of the Pacquiao and Bradley in the fall...He's [Marquez] obviously changed his tune [about not wanting to fight Pacquiao again]."
Arum Will Pull It Off
There's no doubt that Arum wants Pacquiao to win over Bradley because of the huge amount of money waiting down the road, especially if the Pacman vs. Marquez clash pushes through.
In the latest op-ed by boxing writer Chris Williams of Boxing News 24, he believed the fifth fight between the two boxing gladiators will still hit more than 1 million pay-per-view buys. With the fanbase Marquez possesses and star appeal of Pacquiao, this historic clash will be a surefire hit once again - which is good for Arum's business.
"I bet Arum is very happy about Marquez changing his mind about the possibility of fighting Pacquiao for a 5th time, because he's really the only guy that Arum has in his Top Rank stable that can help Pacquiao bring in over 1 million buys at this point in his career."
"The good old days where Arum could just throw anyone in the ring with Pacquiao and wind up with over 1 million PPV buys appear to be over with. Now it takes a quality opponent like Marquez with a huge fan base to pump up Pacquiao's numbers over the 1 million PPV buys mark. I guess fans got tired of paying to see mismatches like Pacquiao's fights against Antonio Margarito, Joshua Clottey, and Brandon Rios," Williams stated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon