Sochi 2014: Man Responsible for Olympic Ring Fail Stabbed to Death? Hoax Goes Viral
By Johnlee Varghese | February 9, 2014 6:10 PM EST
Speculations are rife over the alleged death of a Russian technician, who was responsible for the now-infamous Olympic ring fail at Sochi 2014.
Rumor has it that the man 'T.Borris Avdeyev was found in his hotel room early this morning with multiple stab wounds'.
But was a man actually killed over the Olympic ring fail that happened at the opening ceremony on Friday night? Or is it a rumor trying to cash-in on the idea that the Russian regime, with its dictator-like attitude, will not tolerate such failures and the embarrassment it has caused. And hence exhibiting the Stalin-style brutality, the KGB had the technician stabbed to death. It is nothing but a parody on the cold-war era idea about Russia that everyone seems too ready to believe.
However, here is the truth - the news is totally false. While it is outrageous, the fact that it was published in The Daily Currant should have kept the readers in check.
In the website's own words "The Daily Currant is an English language online satirical newspaper that covers global politics, business, technology, entertainment, science, health and media....Our mission is to ridicule the timid ignorance which obstructs our progress, and promote intelligence - which presses forward." Further, in its FAQs section on the question, "Are your news stories real?", the answer is "No. Our stories are purely fictional. However they are meant to address real-world issues through satire and often refer and link to real events happening in the world."
Also Read: Everything About LA's DUMB STARBUCKS!
Here is the death hoax story from The Daily Currant -
"The man responsible for operating the Olympic Rings during last night’s Winter Olympic Opening Ceremonies in Russia was found dead today.
According to local reports the body of T. Borris Avdeyev was found his hotel room early this morning with multiple stab wounds.
Avdeyev was a technical specialist responsible for the Olympic Ring spectacle, which embarrassingly malfunctioned last night. Five animatronic snowflakes were supposed to transform into Olympic Rings. The first four functioned properly but the fifth snowflake failed to change shape.
Although his body was badly mangled and the wounds were consistent with a struggle, so far officials say they don't suspect foul play.
“Sure there were stab wounds and bruises all over the body,” admits the lead investigator on the case, “But who knows what caused them. Maybe he tripped and fell on a set of knives. Right now we’re ruling this an accidental death.
“It’s terrible when accidents like this happen. But then again, maybe Mr. Avdeyev should have thought twice before he screwed up the Olympics. Accidents tend to happen to people who betray Russia.”
Despite the government’s story, fellow hotel guests reported hearing a struggle in Avdeyev’s room around 3am local time."
Twitter reactions to the death hoax story:
— Nart Pshegubj (@pshegubj) February 9, 2014
Perish the thought of "betraying Mother Russia". WTF #Putin #Sochi2014 - http://t.co/GR3mER5K1N — Happenstance5 (@Happenstance5) February 9, 2014
On a scale of 1 to 10, how dead do you think the dude is that's responsible for the Olympic Ring mishap?
— Bill Mc7 (@BillMc7) February 9, 2014
Maybe he should have taken his job more seriously. http://t.co/veEJ6WGfMN #Sochi2014 — Stephen Rannazzisi (@SteveRannazzisi) February 9, 2014
— Anthony ™ (@ACminaj95) February 9, 2014
Varys: I've always hated the bells. They ring for horror, a dead king, a city under siege. Tyrion: A wedding. Varys: Exactly. — Game of Thrones (@ThroneQuotes) February 6, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best