Sochi 2014: Man Responsible for Olympic Ring Fail Stabbed to Death? Hoax Goes Viral
By Johnlee Varghese | February 9, 2014 6:10 PM EST
Speculations are rife over the alleged death of a Russian technician, who was responsible for the now-infamous Olympic ring fail at Sochi 2014.
Rumor has it that the man 'T.Borris Avdeyev was found in his hotel room early this morning with multiple stab wounds'.
But was a man actually killed over the Olympic ring fail that happened at the opening ceremony on Friday night? Or is it a rumor trying to cash-in on the idea that the Russian regime, with its dictator-like attitude, will not tolerate such failures and the embarrassment it has caused. And hence exhibiting the Stalin-style brutality, the KGB had the technician stabbed to death. It is nothing but a parody on the cold-war era idea about Russia that everyone seems too ready to believe.
However, here is the truth - the news is totally false. While it is outrageous, the fact that it was published in The Daily Currant should have kept the readers in check.
In the website's own words "The Daily Currant is an English language online satirical newspaper that covers global politics, business, technology, entertainment, science, health and media....Our mission is to ridicule the timid ignorance which obstructs our progress, and promote intelligence - which presses forward." Further, in its FAQs section on the question, "Are your news stories real?", the answer is "No. Our stories are purely fictional. However they are meant to address real-world issues through satire and often refer and link to real events happening in the world."
Also Read: Everything About LA's DUMB STARBUCKS!
Here is the death hoax story from The Daily Currant -
"The man responsible for operating the Olympic Rings during last night’s Winter Olympic Opening Ceremonies in Russia was found dead today.
According to local reports the body of T. Borris Avdeyev was found his hotel room early this morning with multiple stab wounds.
Avdeyev was a technical specialist responsible for the Olympic Ring spectacle, which embarrassingly malfunctioned last night. Five animatronic snowflakes were supposed to transform into Olympic Rings. The first four functioned properly but the fifth snowflake failed to change shape.
Although his body was badly mangled and the wounds were consistent with a struggle, so far officials say they don't suspect foul play.
“Sure there were stab wounds and bruises all over the body,” admits the lead investigator on the case, “But who knows what caused them. Maybe he tripped and fell on a set of knives. Right now we’re ruling this an accidental death.
“It’s terrible when accidents like this happen. But then again, maybe Mr. Avdeyev should have thought twice before he screwed up the Olympics. Accidents tend to happen to people who betray Russia.”
Despite the government’s story, fellow hotel guests reported hearing a struggle in Avdeyev’s room around 3am local time."
Twitter reactions to the death hoax story:
— Nart Pshegubj (@pshegubj) February 9, 2014
Perish the thought of "betraying Mother Russia". WTF #Putin #Sochi2014 - http://t.co/GR3mER5K1N — Happenstance5 (@Happenstance5) February 9, 2014
On a scale of 1 to 10, how dead do you think the dude is that's responsible for the Olympic Ring mishap?
— Bill Mc7 (@BillMc7) February 9, 2014
Maybe he should have taken his job more seriously. http://t.co/veEJ6WGfMN #Sochi2014 — Stephen Rannazzisi (@SteveRannazzisi) February 9, 2014
— Anthony ™ (@ACminaj95) February 9, 2014
Varys: I've always hated the bells. They ring for horror, a dead king, a city under siege. Tyrion: A wedding. Varys: Exactly. — Game of Thrones (@ThroneQuotes) February 6, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air