‘X Factor’ USA Canceled: Why did Fox Pull the Plug on the Show?
By Keerthi Mohan | February 9, 2014 4:25 PM EST
After three seasons of dwindling ratings, Fox has pulled the plug on The X Factor USA. But the reason for the show’s cancellation has been pinned on Simon Cowell, who on Friday announced that he is leaving the show. “I’ve had a fantastic time over the last 12 years, both on The X Factor and American Idol,” Cowell said in a statement cited by the media.
“And apart from being lucky enough to find some amazing talent on the shows, I have always had an incredible welcome from the American public (most of the time!),” Cowell added. The British talent competition judge added that he is returning to the U.K. version of the show and thanked Fox for its support.
In a statement, the network said that there can be no X Factor without Cowell, and hence the cancellation. “To all of us at Fox, Simon is more than one of the most prolific TV personalities of our time — he’s part of our family,” Kevin Reilly, Fox Entertainment’s chairman, said in a statement.
“Unfortunately, there is no X Factor without Simon Cowell, but we understand and support his decision to focus on the international formats and on the next phase of his personal life. We wish him the very best, and it’s our sincere hope that we work together again soon,” Reilly added.
However, social networking sites are abuzz with speculation that bad ratings resulted in the show’s cancellation. While in the first two seasons, “X Factor” held to its third position behind “American Idol” and “The Voice,” it is currently behind other reality shows such as “The Bachelor,” “Dancing With the Stars,” “Shark Tank,” “Survivor,” “Amazing Race” and “The Biggest Loser, Variety reported.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best