‘X Factor’ USA Canceled: Why did Fox Pull the Plug on the Show?
By Keerthi Mohan | February 9, 2014 4:25 PM EST
After three seasons of dwindling ratings, Fox has pulled the plug on The X Factor USA. But the reason for the show’s cancellation has been pinned on Simon Cowell, who on Friday announced that he is leaving the show. “I’ve had a fantastic time over the last 12 years, both on The X Factor and American Idol,” Cowell said in a statement cited by the media.
“And apart from being lucky enough to find some amazing talent on the shows, I have always had an incredible welcome from the American public (most of the time!),” Cowell added. The British talent competition judge added that he is returning to the U.K. version of the show and thanked Fox for its support.
In a statement, the network said that there can be no X Factor without Cowell, and hence the cancellation. “To all of us at Fox, Simon is more than one of the most prolific TV personalities of our time — he’s part of our family,” Kevin Reilly, Fox Entertainment’s chairman, said in a statement.
“Unfortunately, there is no X Factor without Simon Cowell, but we understand and support his decision to focus on the international formats and on the next phase of his personal life. We wish him the very best, and it’s our sincere hope that we work together again soon,” Reilly added.
However, social networking sites are abuzz with speculation that bad ratings resulted in the show’s cancellation. While in the first two seasons, “X Factor” held to its third position behind “American Idol” and “The Voice,” it is currently behind other reality shows such as “The Bachelor,” “Dancing With the Stars,” “Shark Tank,” “Survivor,” “Amazing Race” and “The Biggest Loser, Variety reported.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal