Sochi 2014 Update (February 8, Saturday): Norway, Netherlands Winners in Day 3, Top Early Medal Tally
By James Patrick Quizon | February 9, 2014 2:49 AM EST
Norway and Netherlands got ahead of the field in the early medal tally owing to a Norwegian gold-bronze finish in the ladies’ skiathlon and a 1-2-3 Dutch dominance in men’s speedskating on the third day of action at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Krasnaya, Polyana, Russia.
Norway's Bjoergen and Weng cry as they celebrate after women's cross-country skiathlon event at 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics
Norway’s Marit Bjoeergen clocked in with 38 minutes and 33.6 seconds for first-place in the cross country event and continued her dominating run in the cross country event after winning three gold medals in the Vancouver games four years ago.
Sweden’s Charlotte Kalla came in 1.8 seconds behind for the silver to crash an all-Norwegian podium finish. Another skier from Norway Heidi Weng ended up at third place (38:46.8) for the bronze and compatriot Therese Johaug was at fourth (38:48.2).
The 33-year-old Bjoergen was the most decorated athlete in Canada as she also added a silver and bronze in 2010. With a gold in the bag in Sochi, she is expected to once again to aim for most medals by any athlete in this Olympics.
The skiathlon event features two phases—both at 7.5 kilometers each. Bjoergen had a time of 19 minutes and 10.6 seconds in the first stage, the classic-style skiing and 18 minutes and 47.9 seconds in the second, the freestyle showing her versatility in cross country competition.
Meanwhile, Dutch Sven Kramer led compatriots Jan Blokhuijsen and Jorrit Bergsma to a gold-silver-bronze finish in the men’s 5000m event in speedskating.
Other events were scheduled late Saturday in Sochi. Here are some of the results in Day 3 of the 2014 Winter Olympics:
Ice Hockey – Preliminary Round
USA def. Finland 3-1
Canada vs. Sweden, 5-0
Cross Country – Ladies’ Skiathlon 7.5km Classic + 7.5km Free
Gold – Marit Bjoergen (Norway) – 38:33.6
Silver – Charlotte Kalla (Sweden) – 38:35.4
Bronze – Heidi Weng (Norway) - 38:48.6
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced