Sochi 2014 Update (February 8, Saturday): Norway, Netherlands Winners in Day 3, Top Early Medal Tally
By James Patrick Quizon | February 9, 2014 2:49 AM EST
Norway and Netherlands got ahead of the field in the early medal tally owing to a Norwegian gold-bronze finish in the ladies’ skiathlon and a 1-2-3 Dutch dominance in men’s speedskating on the third day of action at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Krasnaya, Polyana, Russia.
Norway's Bjoergen and Weng cry as they celebrate after women's cross-country skiathlon event at 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics
Norway’s Marit Bjoeergen clocked in with 38 minutes and 33.6 seconds for first-place in the cross country event and continued her dominating run in the cross country event after winning three gold medals in the Vancouver games four years ago.
Sweden’s Charlotte Kalla came in 1.8 seconds behind for the silver to crash an all-Norwegian podium finish. Another skier from Norway Heidi Weng ended up at third place (38:46.8) for the bronze and compatriot Therese Johaug was at fourth (38:48.2).
The 33-year-old Bjoergen was the most decorated athlete in Canada as she also added a silver and bronze in 2010. With a gold in the bag in Sochi, she is expected to once again to aim for most medals by any athlete in this Olympics.
The skiathlon event features two phases—both at 7.5 kilometers each. Bjoergen had a time of 19 minutes and 10.6 seconds in the first stage, the classic-style skiing and 18 minutes and 47.9 seconds in the second, the freestyle showing her versatility in cross country competition.
Meanwhile, Dutch Sven Kramer led compatriots Jan Blokhuijsen and Jorrit Bergsma to a gold-silver-bronze finish in the men’s 5000m event in speedskating.
Other events were scheduled late Saturday in Sochi. Here are some of the results in Day 3 of the 2014 Winter Olympics:
Ice Hockey – Preliminary Round
USA def. Finland 3-1
Canada vs. Sweden, 5-0
Cross Country – Ladies’ Skiathlon 7.5km Classic + 7.5km Free
Gold – Marit Bjoergen (Norway) – 38:33.6
Silver – Charlotte Kalla (Sweden) – 38:35.4
Bronze – Heidi Weng (Norway) - 38:48.6
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display