iPhone 6 Release Date: iPhone 4 Price Cut Hints Early Arrival of Next-Generation Smartphone?
By Raymond Ronamai | February 9, 2014 1:07 AM EST
In what seems like an attempt to increase its visibility in emerging markets before the arrival of another bigger device, Apple Inc. has reintroduced iPhone 4 in India, Indonesia and Brazil after four years with a price cut, hinting that next-generation smartphone - iPhone 6 - could come early as speculated.
Lewi Hussey via ConceptsiPhone
iPhone 6 Concept Image by Lewi Hussey
Three senior executives with direct knowledge of the Cupertino giant's plan told The Economic Times that the company has for the first time revived the production of iPhone 4 for India, Indonesia and Brazil. The smartphones, which was relaunched last month at Rs 22,900, now costs around Rs 20,000.
The report by The Economic Times went on to say that the fresh iPhone 4 stocks bear a December 2013 manufacturing date indicating that Apple has started production again. It added that new arrivals may bear January 2014 manufacturing date.
Apple Inc. discontinued manufacturing of iPhone 4 in September 2013 after the launch of iPhone 5S and 5C.
Speculations are doing the rounds on the release date of iPhone 6, with some claiming that it will be launched at Apple's WWDC (Worldwide Developers Conference) to be held from 10-14 June, while some are of the opinion that it will happen only in September.
Chinese Analyst Sun Changxu had also told QQ Tech website that iPhone 6 would be launched in June, which was also echoed by KDB and Jefferies analyst Peter Misek. However, Cowen and Company analyst Timothy Arcuri had said that the new smartphone would be released only in September, which was also echoed by South Korean publication house ET News.
iPhone 6 is expected to feature a bigger screen display and powered by by A8 processor. It is also expected to feature a scratch-resistant sapphire-coated glass display, which will enable solar-charging, Retina+ IGZO display that will enable gesture control, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity.
According to a note to investors by South Korea's brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities (translated by Oled Display), iPhone 6 will sport 4.7/4.8 or 5.5″ display with a 1920x1080p (440ppi), or a 2272×1280 (510ppi) IGZO Display and will be powered by A8 chip (64-bit) with iOS 7.2.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan