iPhone 6 Release Date: iPhone 4 Price Cut Hints Early Arrival of Next-Generation Smartphone?
By Raymond Ronamai | February 9, 2014 1:07 AM EST
In what seems like an attempt to increase its visibility in emerging markets before the arrival of another bigger device, Apple Inc. has reintroduced iPhone 4 in India, Indonesia and Brazil after four years with a price cut, hinting that next-generation smartphone - iPhone 6 - could come early as speculated.
Lewi Hussey via ConceptsiPhone
iPhone 6 Concept Image by Lewi Hussey
Three senior executives with direct knowledge of the Cupertino giant's plan told The Economic Times that the company has for the first time revived the production of iPhone 4 for India, Indonesia and Brazil. The smartphones, which was relaunched last month at Rs 22,900, now costs around Rs 20,000.
The report by The Economic Times went on to say that the fresh iPhone 4 stocks bear a December 2013 manufacturing date indicating that Apple has started production again. It added that new arrivals may bear January 2014 manufacturing date.
Apple Inc. discontinued manufacturing of iPhone 4 in September 2013 after the launch of iPhone 5S and 5C.
Speculations are doing the rounds on the release date of iPhone 6, with some claiming that it will be launched at Apple's WWDC (Worldwide Developers Conference) to be held from 10-14 June, while some are of the opinion that it will happen only in September.
Chinese Analyst Sun Changxu had also told QQ Tech website that iPhone 6 would be launched in June, which was also echoed by KDB and Jefferies analyst Peter Misek. However, Cowen and Company analyst Timothy Arcuri had said that the new smartphone would be released only in September, which was also echoed by South Korean publication house ET News.
iPhone 6 is expected to feature a bigger screen display and powered by by A8 processor. It is also expected to feature a scratch-resistant sapphire-coated glass display, which will enable solar-charging, Retina+ IGZO display that will enable gesture control, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity.
According to a note to investors by South Korea's brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities (translated by Oled Display), iPhone 6 will sport 4.7/4.8 or 5.5″ display with a 1920x1080p (440ppi), or a 2272×1280 (510ppi) IGZO Display and will be powered by A8 chip (64-bit) with iOS 7.2.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report