iPhone 6 Release Date: iPhone 4 Price Cut Hints Early Arrival of Next-Generation Smartphone?
By Raymond Ronamai | February 9, 2014 1:07 AM EST
In what seems like an attempt to increase its visibility in emerging markets before the arrival of another bigger device, Apple Inc. has reintroduced iPhone 4 in India, Indonesia and Brazil after four years with a price cut, hinting that next-generation smartphone - iPhone 6 - could come early as speculated.
Lewi Hussey via ConceptsiPhone
iPhone 6 Concept Image by Lewi Hussey
Three senior executives with direct knowledge of the Cupertino giant's plan told The Economic Times that the company has for the first time revived the production of iPhone 4 for India, Indonesia and Brazil. The smartphones, which was relaunched last month at Rs 22,900, now costs around Rs 20,000.
The report by The Economic Times went on to say that the fresh iPhone 4 stocks bear a December 2013 manufacturing date indicating that Apple has started production again. It added that new arrivals may bear January 2014 manufacturing date.
Apple Inc. discontinued manufacturing of iPhone 4 in September 2013 after the launch of iPhone 5S and 5C.
Speculations are doing the rounds on the release date of iPhone 6, with some claiming that it will be launched at Apple's WWDC (Worldwide Developers Conference) to be held from 10-14 June, while some are of the opinion that it will happen only in September.
Chinese Analyst Sun Changxu had also told QQ Tech website that iPhone 6 would be launched in June, which was also echoed by KDB and Jefferies analyst Peter Misek. However, Cowen and Company analyst Timothy Arcuri had said that the new smartphone would be released only in September, which was also echoed by South Korean publication house ET News.
iPhone 6 is expected to feature a bigger screen display and powered by by A8 processor. It is also expected to feature a scratch-resistant sapphire-coated glass display, which will enable solar-charging, Retina+ IGZO display that will enable gesture control, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity.
According to a note to investors by South Korea's brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities (translated by Oled Display), iPhone 6 will sport 4.7/4.8 or 5.5″ display with a 1920x1080p (440ppi), or a 2272×1280 (510ppi) IGZO Display and will be powered by A8 chip (64-bit) with iOS 7.2.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes