Production of Maruti Suzuki 800 Stopped, End Of 30-Year-Old Remarkable Journey
By greeshma m | February 8, 2014 7:08 PM EST
Maruti Suzuki's ever loved creation Maruti 800 became history on Saturday, with the company announcing that its production had been stopped in the country.
The car, which taught Indians how to drive has finally reached the end of the road after staying connected to the Indian middle -class families for three decades. The company completely stopped the production and rolled out the last of its 800 model on 18 January. However, Maruti, India's largest car maker will continue to sell the spare parts of 800 to its customers for next eight to ten years as per rules, said the company.
"Now on the 18th of January we have stopped the M-800 production completely. We have to keep all of them (dies and moulds) for the spare parts requirement. We have to continuously meet the customer requirements. That is our duty to make sure that they get all the parts," said C V Raman, Executive Director MSIL, according to PTI.
The remarkable journey of Maruti on Indian roads started in 1983, and since then the company has sold over 2.5 million Maruti 800s in the country. The car had also found market in number of other countries like Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. Harpal Singh, an Indian Airlines employee from New Delhi, was the first Indian who took the key of the dream coupé from the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
Though the charm of 800 never faded away from the auto market and numerous modifications were made to it, it was difficult for the company to keep up with the increasing competition in the market with just one car. However, the phase out of the car was something that was expected as the company halted the sale of car in 13 major cities in India including Kanpur, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune, Ahmedabad, Agra and Surat from 2010 due to the stricter emissions regulations.
The car that made Maruti what it is today is now a history. But the incredible journey of Maruti 800 would not fade in to oblivion any time soon for sure
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2