Production of Maruti Suzuki 800 Stopped, End Of 30-Year-Old Remarkable Journey
By greeshma m | February 8, 2014 7:08 PM EST
Maruti Suzuki's ever loved creation Maruti 800 became history on Saturday, with the company announcing that its production had been stopped in the country.
The car, which taught Indians how to drive has finally reached the end of the road after staying connected to the Indian middle -class families for three decades. The company completely stopped the production and rolled out the last of its 800 model on 18 January. However, Maruti, India's largest car maker will continue to sell the spare parts of 800 to its customers for next eight to ten years as per rules, said the company.
"Now on the 18th of January we have stopped the M-800 production completely. We have to keep all of them (dies and moulds) for the spare parts requirement. We have to continuously meet the customer requirements. That is our duty to make sure that they get all the parts," said C V Raman, Executive Director MSIL, according to PTI.
The remarkable journey of Maruti on Indian roads started in 1983, and since then the company has sold over 2.5 million Maruti 800s in the country. The car had also found market in number of other countries like Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. Harpal Singh, an Indian Airlines employee from New Delhi, was the first Indian who took the key of the dream coupé from the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
Though the charm of 800 never faded away from the auto market and numerous modifications were made to it, it was difficult for the company to keep up with the increasing competition in the market with just one car. However, the phase out of the car was something that was expected as the company halted the sale of car in 13 major cities in India including Kanpur, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune, Ahmedabad, Agra and Surat from 2010 due to the stricter emissions regulations.
The car that made Maruti what it is today is now a history. But the incredible journey of Maruti 800 would not fade in to oblivion any time soon for sure
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James