Sochi Olympics 2014: Outrage Over Olympic Honor to Russian who Tweeted Racist Obama Pictures
By Johnlee Varghese | February 8, 2014 6:10 PM EST
The image of Irina Rodnina, a renowned Russian figure skater, lighting the Olympic flame has been met with utter disbelief and severe criticism, as Rodnina is said to have posted a racist picture of US president Barrack Obama last September. The doctored picture of Obama on Twitter showed the President with a mouth-full of food and Michelle Obama staring at a banana that is being waved at them.
Irina Konstantinovna Rodnina, 64, is one of the most successful Russian figure skaters with three successive Olympic gold medal-wins. She also holds the title of winning 10 successive World Championships.
The post by Rodnina was severely critized and was seen as a racial slur. Though the Russian Olympian deleted the post following the criticism, she never apologized for it.
Here is the Racist picture tweeted by Irina Rodnina back in September.
— Thomas Heid (@twheidmusic) February 8, 2014
After hundreds of viewers across the globe saw Rodnina light the Olympic flame alongside Vladislav Tretyak, ice-hockey player at the Sochi ceremony on Friday, they took to twitter to vent their ire. "The choice of this woman to open the Olympics, a shot at the USA?" wrote a user, while another added, "#Olympics going "downhill" fast #IrinaRodnina #SochiFail #Sochi #racist."
Since the start, Sochi Olympics has been mired in problems and controversies. First the games was shadowed by the debate over Russia'a anti-homosexuality laws. Then came the slew of problems reported by the visiting journalists, who now have created a page on Twitter @SochiProblems totalk about several problems at the Olympic village.
The eve of the Sochi 2014 opening ceremony too brought in major embarassment to Russian organizers, as one of the Olympic rings failed to open on the display screen at the beginning of the show.
Russia needs to answer for honoring Irina Rodnina at Sochi (@USATSportsImage): http://t.co/7YxRCGk3eD... http://t.co/eCjxzL4hrQ — darlene edwards (@darlene09465021) February 8, 2014
Flame lighter's racist Obama tweet resurfaces http://t.co/XyZ5YgtC97
— Love Is All We Need (@LovelsAllWeNeed) February 8, 2014
Irina Rodnina tweeted a racist picture of the Obamas. How was she rewarded? By being allowed to light the Olympic flame We see you, Russia — Nerdy Wonka (@NerdyWonka) February 8, 2014
The woman lighting the Olympic flame is Irina Rodnina, the woman who tweeted a shockingly racist picture of Obama... http://t.co/Zu17lcMDUe
— Ruthie Thompson (@ruthie2theright) February 8, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- 'Boob Aid': Japanese Porn Stars 'Excited' For 24HR Breasts Squeezing Charity
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge