Sochi Olympics 2014: Spectacular Images of the Opening Ceremony [SLIDESHOW + VIDEO]
February 8, 2014 5:49 PM EST
Sochi Olympics 2014: Spectacular Images of the Opening Ceremony [SLIDESHOW]
The grand opening ceremony of the Sochi Olympics 2014 kicked off on Friday on an embarrassing note due to technical glitches.
The Sochi Winter Games started at exactly 8.14 pm (20.14) local time and viewers from across the world watched the opening ceremony of the most expensive Olympic Games in history with the introduction of athletes.
More than 2000 artists performed at the opening ceremony, which was being held at the Fisht Olympic Stadium.
The show started with a hitch, as only four stars or snowflakes turned into Olympics rings and the fifth one failed to erupt as planned. However, Russian television viewers saw all the five snowflakes turning into rings live. But the show's producer Konstantin Ernst immediately ordered a change of image, according to Los Angeles Times.
Check out the video of the Olympic ring technical malfunction here
Leaving aside the technical malfunction, there were several other moments that mesmerized people.
The viewers were treated to an alphabetic summoning of great legends and unforgettable moments in Russian history.
Seven floating islands were created inside the stadium, which represented the diversity of the country. From Kamchatka volcanoes and the forests of the Urals to icebound Lake Baikal of Siberia, all was displayed during the opening ceremony.
The Parade of Athletes, which was one of the main shows of the opening ceremony, took place right at the beginning.
Later, the audiences were treated to music, fireworks and dance performances with amazing choreography.
Dmitry Chernyshenko, the Chairman of the Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee, welcomed everyone.
"Welcome to the 2014 Olympics Winter Games in Sochi. Our city is unique, as all of Russia is unique. It is the largest country in the world where Europe meets Russia. We are proud to have the privilege to host the entire world," Chernyshenko said.
Eight well-known personality from Russia including cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova, six-time Olympic speed skating champion Lidiya Skoblikova, director Nikita Mikhailkov, actress Chulpan Khamatova, journalist Anastasia Popova, ice hockey legend Vyacheslav Fetisov, conductor Valeriy Gergiev, and virtual racing driving champion Alan Enileev carried the Olympic flag into the stadium at 22.32 local time, according to Olympics.org, after which six sports legends from Russia marched in with the Olympic torch.
The three-hour spectacular show ended with a dramatic firework finale.
Click start to check the photos of the opening ceremony.
- Budget 2014: Treasurer Joe Hockey Acknowledges Unpopularity of 1st Coalition Budget, Which Includes 16,000 Job Cuts & Deficit Tax
- Japan merchandise trade balance
- Could The Syrian Downing Of A Turkish Jet Bring In NATO?
- Breast Cancer iPhone App Enlists Hunky Men to Remind Women About Self-Examination
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists