Sochi Olympics 2014: Spectacular Images of the Opening Ceremony [SLIDESHOW + VIDEO]
February 8, 2014 5:49 PM EST
Sochi Olympics 2014: Spectacular Images of the Opening Ceremony [SLIDESHOW]
The grand opening ceremony of the Sochi Olympics 2014 kicked off on Friday on an embarrassing note due to technical glitches.
The Sochi Winter Games started at exactly 8.14 pm (20.14) local time and viewers from across the world watched the opening ceremony of the most expensive Olympic Games in history with the introduction of athletes.
More than 2000 artists performed at the opening ceremony, which was being held at the Fisht Olympic Stadium.
The show started with a hitch, as only four stars or snowflakes turned into Olympics rings and the fifth one failed to erupt as planned. However, Russian television viewers saw all the five snowflakes turning into rings live. But the show's producer Konstantin Ernst immediately ordered a change of image, according to Los Angeles Times.
Check out the video of the Olympic ring technical malfunction here
Leaving aside the technical malfunction, there were several other moments that mesmerized people.
The viewers were treated to an alphabetic summoning of great legends and unforgettable moments in Russian history.
Seven floating islands were created inside the stadium, which represented the diversity of the country. From Kamchatka volcanoes and the forests of the Urals to icebound Lake Baikal of Siberia, all was displayed during the opening ceremony.
The Parade of Athletes, which was one of the main shows of the opening ceremony, took place right at the beginning.
Later, the audiences were treated to music, fireworks and dance performances with amazing choreography.
Dmitry Chernyshenko, the Chairman of the Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee, welcomed everyone.
"Welcome to the 2014 Olympics Winter Games in Sochi. Our city is unique, as all of Russia is unique. It is the largest country in the world where Europe meets Russia. We are proud to have the privilege to host the entire world," Chernyshenko said.
Eight well-known personality from Russia including cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova, six-time Olympic speed skating champion Lidiya Skoblikova, director Nikita Mikhailkov, actress Chulpan Khamatova, journalist Anastasia Popova, ice hockey legend Vyacheslav Fetisov, conductor Valeriy Gergiev, and virtual racing driving champion Alan Enileev carried the Olympic flag into the stadium at 22.32 local time, according to Olympics.org, after which six sports legends from Russia marched in with the Olympic torch.
The three-hour spectacular show ended with a dramatic firework finale.
Click start to check the photos of the opening ceremony.
- Budget 2014: Treasurer Joe Hockey Acknowledges Unpopularity of 1st Coalition Budget, Which Includes 16,000 Job Cuts & Deficit Tax
- Japan merchandise trade balance
- Could The Syrian Downing Of A Turkish Jet Bring In NATO?
- Breast Cancer iPhone App Enlists Hunky Men to Remind Women About Self-Examination
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu