Sochi Olympics 2014: Spectacular Images of the Opening Ceremony [SLIDESHOW + VIDEO]
February 8, 2014 5:49 PM EST
Sochi Olympics 2014: Spectacular Images of the Opening Ceremony [SLIDESHOW]
The grand opening ceremony of the Sochi Olympics 2014 kicked off on Friday on an embarrassing note due to technical glitches.
The Sochi Winter Games started at exactly 8.14 pm (20.14) local time and viewers from across the world watched the opening ceremony of the most expensive Olympic Games in history with the introduction of athletes.
More than 2000 artists performed at the opening ceremony, which was being held at the Fisht Olympic Stadium.
The show started with a hitch, as only four stars or snowflakes turned into Olympics rings and the fifth one failed to erupt as planned. However, Russian television viewers saw all the five snowflakes turning into rings live. But the show's producer Konstantin Ernst immediately ordered a change of image, according to Los Angeles Times.
Check out the video of the Olympic ring technical malfunction here
Leaving aside the technical malfunction, there were several other moments that mesmerized people.
The viewers were treated to an alphabetic summoning of great legends and unforgettable moments in Russian history.
Seven floating islands were created inside the stadium, which represented the diversity of the country. From Kamchatka volcanoes and the forests of the Urals to icebound Lake Baikal of Siberia, all was displayed during the opening ceremony.
The Parade of Athletes, which was one of the main shows of the opening ceremony, took place right at the beginning.
Later, the audiences were treated to music, fireworks and dance performances with amazing choreography.
Dmitry Chernyshenko, the Chairman of the Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee, welcomed everyone.
"Welcome to the 2014 Olympics Winter Games in Sochi. Our city is unique, as all of Russia is unique. It is the largest country in the world where Europe meets Russia. We are proud to have the privilege to host the entire world," Chernyshenko said.
Eight well-known personality from Russia including cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova, six-time Olympic speed skating champion Lidiya Skoblikova, director Nikita Mikhailkov, actress Chulpan Khamatova, journalist Anastasia Popova, ice hockey legend Vyacheslav Fetisov, conductor Valeriy Gergiev, and virtual racing driving champion Alan Enileev carried the Olympic flag into the stadium at 22.32 local time, according to Olympics.org, after which six sports legends from Russia marched in with the Olympic torch.
The three-hour spectacular show ended with a dramatic firework finale.
Click start to check the photos of the opening ceremony.
- Budget 2014: Treasurer Joe Hockey Acknowledges Unpopularity of 1st Coalition Budget, Which Includes 16,000 Job Cuts & Deficit Tax
- Japan merchandise trade balance
- Could The Syrian Downing Of A Turkish Jet Bring In NATO?
- Breast Cancer iPhone App Enlists Hunky Men to Remind Women About Self-Examination
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast