Michael Schumacher Dead? Hospital Refutes Rumors that Formula One Legend is Dead
By Keerthi Mohan | February 8, 2014 3:41 PM EST
The Internet was once again abuzz with news of Michael Schumacher’s death on Thursday, following which the hospital where he is being treated was forced to issue a statement refuting the claims.
File photo of Mercedes Formula One driver Schumacher during the podium ceremony after the European F1 Grand Prix at the Valencia street circuit
“The hospital denies that Michael Schumacher has died,” the Grenoble University Hospital said in the statement, according to The Daily Mail.
The rumor, which spread on social networking platforms such as Twitter, cited Brazilian news reports as saying that the Formula One legend was dead.
“Brazilian newspaper reporting Michael Schumacher as dead? Anyone heard about this?” a tweet read.
“PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE We need official update about Michael to stop these VICIOUS AND HORRIBLE rumours,” Hazel Graham wrote on the F1 racer’s official Facebook page.
This is the second death hoax since Suhumacher’s accident in the French Alps on December 29. Soon after the accident, a number of Facebook pages such as R.I.P Michael Schumacher and RIP Michael Schumacher 1969 – 2014 made its appearance on the social networking site and garnered a sizeable number of likes.
Schumacher, who was placed in a medically induced coma to help his brain heal, was being brought back from coma, and is said to be responding positively.
The aim of the doctors now is to ensure he does not get pneumonia, the Irish Mirror reported, adding that due to the body’s inefficient swallowing mechanism, saliva can run into the lungs and cause respiratory infections.
“About 30 to 50 percent of all patients who lie in a coma as long as Michael Schumacher has get it,”Andreas Pingel, medical director of the Centre for Spine Surgery and Neuro-Traumatology at the BG Hospital in Frankfurt told Germany’s Focus Magazine, according to the Irish Mirror.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]