Michael Schumacher Dead? Hospital Refutes Rumors that Formula One Legend is Dead
By Keerthi Mohan | February 8, 2014 3:41 PM EST
The Internet was once again abuzz with news of Michael Schumacher’s death on Thursday, following which the hospital where he is being treated was forced to issue a statement refuting the claims.
File photo of Mercedes Formula One driver Schumacher during the podium ceremony after the European F1 Grand Prix at the Valencia street circuit
“The hospital denies that Michael Schumacher has died,” the Grenoble University Hospital said in the statement, according to The Daily Mail.
The rumor, which spread on social networking platforms such as Twitter, cited Brazilian news reports as saying that the Formula One legend was dead.
“Brazilian newspaper reporting Michael Schumacher as dead? Anyone heard about this?” a tweet read.
“PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE We need official update about Michael to stop these VICIOUS AND HORRIBLE rumours,” Hazel Graham wrote on the F1 racer’s official Facebook page.
This is the second death hoax since Suhumacher’s accident in the French Alps on December 29. Soon after the accident, a number of Facebook pages such as R.I.P Michael Schumacher and RIP Michael Schumacher 1969 – 2014 made its appearance on the social networking site and garnered a sizeable number of likes.
Schumacher, who was placed in a medically induced coma to help his brain heal, was being brought back from coma, and is said to be responding positively.
The aim of the doctors now is to ensure he does not get pneumonia, the Irish Mirror reported, adding that due to the body’s inefficient swallowing mechanism, saliva can run into the lungs and cause respiratory infections.
“About 30 to 50 percent of all patients who lie in a coma as long as Michael Schumacher has get it,”Andreas Pingel, medical director of the Centre for Spine Surgery and Neuro-Traumatology at the BG Hospital in Frankfurt told Germany’s Focus Magazine, according to the Irish Mirror.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 29, 2014: Brooke Must Decide If She Will Continue With Her Plans Of Marrying Bill [WATCH VIDEO]
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate