Michael Schumacher Dead? Hospital Refutes Rumors that Formula One Legend is Dead
By Keerthi Mohan | February 8, 2014 3:41 PM EST
The Internet was once again abuzz with news of Michael Schumacher’s death on Thursday, following which the hospital where he is being treated was forced to issue a statement refuting the claims.
File photo of Mercedes Formula One driver Schumacher during the podium ceremony after the European F1 Grand Prix at the Valencia street circuit
“The hospital denies that Michael Schumacher has died,” the Grenoble University Hospital said in the statement, according to The Daily Mail.
The rumor, which spread on social networking platforms such as Twitter, cited Brazilian news reports as saying that the Formula One legend was dead.
“Brazilian newspaper reporting Michael Schumacher as dead? Anyone heard about this?” a tweet read.
“PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE We need official update about Michael to stop these VICIOUS AND HORRIBLE rumours,” Hazel Graham wrote on the F1 racer’s official Facebook page.
This is the second death hoax since Suhumacher’s accident in the French Alps on December 29. Soon after the accident, a number of Facebook pages such as R.I.P Michael Schumacher and RIP Michael Schumacher 1969 – 2014 made its appearance on the social networking site and garnered a sizeable number of likes.
Schumacher, who was placed in a medically induced coma to help his brain heal, was being brought back from coma, and is said to be responding positively.
The aim of the doctors now is to ensure he does not get pneumonia, the Irish Mirror reported, adding that due to the body’s inefficient swallowing mechanism, saliva can run into the lungs and cause respiratory infections.
“About 30 to 50 percent of all patients who lie in a coma as long as Michael Schumacher has get it,”Andreas Pingel, medical director of the Centre for Spine Surgery and Neuro-Traumatology at the BG Hospital in Frankfurt told Germany’s Focus Magazine, according to the Irish Mirror.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- ‘Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice’ Comic-Con Teaser Trailer In Animation [Watch Video]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- 'Suits' Season 4 Spoilers: 'Litt Up' Consequences in Summer Finale; Cliffhanger Awaits, Says Series Creator [Watch Suits 4x10 Promo Video]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch