Yemeni Tribesmen Attack Oil Pipeline Repair Crew, Eight Killed
February 8, 2014 3:03 PM EST
At least eight people were killed when armed tribesman launched an attack on Friday to stop maintenance crews repairing an oil pipeline blown up last month in southeast Yemen, tribal sources said.
representational Image (Reuters).
Six soldiers guarding the crews and two tribesmen were killed in the assault, which succeeded in halting work on the line linking Yemen's Masila oilfields to the al-Dabbah export facility on the Arabian Sea, said witnesses.
The pipeline, with a capacity of 120,000 barrels per day, was blown up twice in two days by unidentified assailants, disrupting an important source of revenue for the impoverished state.
Disgruntled tribesmen often carry out such attacks to pressure the government to provide jobs, settle land disputes or free relatives from prison.
Tensions between the government and tribes in surrounding Hadramout province have been running particularly high since early December, when an important chief was killed in a shooting at an army checkpoint, local media have reported.
Tribesmen in the area had denied carrying out the explosions, but have said they would not allow the government to make repairs until it handed over the soldiers who killed the chief.
The tribes have also attacked government and energy facilities and late last month overran an oil ministry building in Hadramout.
The Arabian Peninsula country's oil income has been in decline for the past decade, but still makes up around 70 percent of state revenues.
Yemen has been in turmoil since mass protests forced long-term leader Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down in 2012. His successor, Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi has been struggling to restore order.
Western governments fear a failure to accommodate the country's rival political, regional and tribal groups could be exploited by al Qaeda, which has a strong presence in remote areas.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS