Canada’s Response To Russia’s Anti-Gay Propaganda: Olympics Has Always Been A Little Gay [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | February 8, 2014 6:56 AM EST
The Olympics has always been “a little gay,” as Canada pointed out. The Canadian Institute of Diversity and Inclusion (CIDI) has released a short video, explaining why the LGBT community should be allowed at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics.
Russia has been riddled with criticism for its anti-gay propaganda law, which makes propaganda of homosexuality illegal. The law limits the rights of gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgender and intersex people as homosexuality is deemed akin to paedophilia.
With the Winter Olympic Games being held in the country, the law is feared to put LGBT people, including athletes and spectators, at risk of being arrested.
And despite calls from various organisations, the Olympics is still being held in the country.
Canada has put together an ad that promotes its pro-gay stance in support of the LGBT people. In a little over 30 seconds, CIDI pointed out that gay people shouldn’t be excluded in the Olympics because the games have always been “a little gay.”
The video shows two men in a luge, imitating a thrusting movement to propel the luge to move forward.
“The games have always been a little gay. Let’s fight to keep them that way,” the description of the video reads. It also requests that people show their support for the equality of all athletes by changing their Facebook profile picture with them.
The video has gathered over 1.6 million views since it was uploaded on Tuesday.
The 2014 Winter Olympics has officially commenced on Friday in Sochi, Russia, and will conclude on February 23.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies