Canada’s Response To Russia’s Anti-Gay Propaganda: Olympics Has Always Been A Little Gay [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | February 8, 2014 6:56 AM EST
The Olympics has always been “a little gay,” as Canada pointed out. The Canadian Institute of Diversity and Inclusion (CIDI) has released a short video, explaining why the LGBT community should be allowed at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics.
Russia has been riddled with criticism for its anti-gay propaganda law, which makes propaganda of homosexuality illegal. The law limits the rights of gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgender and intersex people as homosexuality is deemed akin to paedophilia.
With the Winter Olympic Games being held in the country, the law is feared to put LGBT people, including athletes and spectators, at risk of being arrested.
And despite calls from various organisations, the Olympics is still being held in the country.
Canada has put together an ad that promotes its pro-gay stance in support of the LGBT people. In a little over 30 seconds, CIDI pointed out that gay people shouldn’t be excluded in the Olympics because the games have always been “a little gay.”
The video shows two men in a luge, imitating a thrusting movement to propel the luge to move forward.
“The games have always been a little gay. Let’s fight to keep them that way,” the description of the video reads. It also requests that people show their support for the equality of all athletes by changing their Facebook profile picture with them.
The video has gathered over 1.6 million views since it was uploaded on Tuesday.
The 2014 Winter Olympics has officially commenced on Friday in Sochi, Russia, and will conclude on February 23.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies