Miss Venezuela 2013 1st Runner-Up Wi May Nava Reveals Secret To Thin Figure: Mesh Fitted On Tongue [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | February 8, 2014 2:47 AM EST
Beauty pageants are a serious business in Venezuela; and participants do whatever it takes to win, even undergo extreme cosmetic surgeries. Miss Venezuela 2013 first runner-up Wi May Nava has admitted that aside from the usual operations to perfect her features, she also has had a mesh fitted to her tongue so she couldn’t eat solid food.
Statistically, Venezuela is the leading country in international beauty pageants. It has the most wins in Miss World and Miss International with six wins each, tying with Brazil for winning two crowns each for Miss Earth, and has the second number of crowns (seven) for Miss Universe.
The current Miss Universe is from Venezuela. Gabriela Isler successfully took home the crown from 85 other contestants from around the world.
As part of the special “Secrets of South America: Extreme Beauty Queens” from BBC, host Billie JD Porter went inside the Miss Venezuela boot camp and discovered the extreme measures contestants take to secure a crown that would transform them from ordinary to rich and famous beauty queens.
Porter followed Nava as she progressed to the final stages of the Miss Venezuela contest. The 18-year-old beauty told the host how her family sacrificed just to put her in the pageant. They worked from “Monday to Monday” to earn enough for her operations, which included breast implants, a nose job, and teeth correction.
There’s nothing unusual about Nava’s procedures, though. Many beauty contestants in the country undergo such operations to be “perfect” for the job. However, Nava also has done something else to help her maintain her beauty queen figure.
When Porter observed that Nava was only going to eat soup for dinner, Nava explained that she had a plastic mesh put on her tongue, which she promptly showed to the host.
Apparently, the mesh makes eating solids hurt a lot that the wearer would be forced to eat liquids only.
“I’ve never heard anything like that in my life,” an astonished Porter said.
With a mesh on her tongue, Nava also admitted that she can’t kiss anyone.
Nava, who is from a poor barrio, underwent all the beauty surgeries on the suggestion of Osmel Sousa, the president of the Miss Venezuela pageant and who is called “The Czar of Beauty” for his role in producing the country’s beauty queens.
Episode 1 of BBC’s “Secrets of South America: Extreme Beauty Queens”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia