Miss Venezuela 2013 1st Runner-Up Wi May Nava Reveals Secret To Thin Figure: Mesh Fitted On Tongue [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | February 8, 2014 2:47 AM EST
Beauty pageants are a serious business in Venezuela; and participants do whatever it takes to win, even undergo extreme cosmetic surgeries. Miss Venezuela 2013 first runner-up Wi May Nava has admitted that aside from the usual operations to perfect her features, she also has had a mesh fitted to her tongue so she couldn’t eat solid food.
Statistically, Venezuela is the leading country in international beauty pageants. It has the most wins in Miss World and Miss International with six wins each, tying with Brazil for winning two crowns each for Miss Earth, and has the second number of crowns (seven) for Miss Universe.
The current Miss Universe is from Venezuela. Gabriela Isler successfully took home the crown from 85 other contestants from around the world.
As part of the special “Secrets of South America: Extreme Beauty Queens” from BBC, host Billie JD Porter went inside the Miss Venezuela boot camp and discovered the extreme measures contestants take to secure a crown that would transform them from ordinary to rich and famous beauty queens.
Porter followed Nava as she progressed to the final stages of the Miss Venezuela contest. The 18-year-old beauty told the host how her family sacrificed just to put her in the pageant. They worked from “Monday to Monday” to earn enough for her operations, which included breast implants, a nose job, and teeth correction.
There’s nothing unusual about Nava’s procedures, though. Many beauty contestants in the country undergo such operations to be “perfect” for the job. However, Nava also has done something else to help her maintain her beauty queen figure.
When Porter observed that Nava was only going to eat soup for dinner, Nava explained that she had a plastic mesh put on her tongue, which she promptly showed to the host.
Apparently, the mesh makes eating solids hurt a lot that the wearer would be forced to eat liquids only.
“I’ve never heard anything like that in my life,” an astonished Porter said.
With a mesh on her tongue, Nava also admitted that she can’t kiss anyone.
Nava, who is from a poor barrio, underwent all the beauty surgeries on the suggestion of Osmel Sousa, the president of the Miss Venezuela pageant and who is called “The Czar of Beauty” for his role in producing the country’s beauty queens.
Episode 1 of BBC’s “Secrets of South America: Extreme Beauty Queens”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS