London Agency Put 24-Hour Surveillance on Retired Chief Justice Mudgal and Me, Tweets Lalit Modi
By Johnlee Varghese | February 8, 2014 1:16 AM EST
Lalit Modi, the controversial former chairman of the Indian Premier League, has kicked up yet another major storm, claiming that he and former Chief Justice Mukul Mudgal have been put on a 24-hour surveillance by an expert team from London.
Modi made the revelation through his Twitter account.
The accusation could further jeopardise the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL) 2014 auctions, scheduled to be held in Bangalore on February 12 and 13, and make it and this season's IPL matches a murky affair.
Justice Mudgal is heading three-member committee, probing the spot-fixing scam of last season's tournament, allegedly involving Gurunath Meiyappan of Chennai Super Kings.
Modi, who often manages to find himself in the thick of things, stated in his Twitter post: "What I just learnt seems straight out of a spy movie thriller. Apparently someone authorised an agency in london 4 a 24 hour surveillance on Retired Chief Justice Mudgal whilst he was in london."
"I was a secondary target. I am shocked that such a thing happened. I have now Asked my lawyers etc to please investigate who was behind this. What we have so far learnt is just like a spy thriller. Will say more as I get more information from my team," he added.
It is widely believed that the committee headed by Justice Mudgul will come out with its report next week, and it is expected to coincide with the IPL 2014 auctions. It is also reported that if the report proves adverse to the Super Kings, it could even affect the team's chances of participating in the tournament.
Modi further revealed that the surveillance operation was carried out by a professional team. "There were 6 teams hired who did round the clock surveillance using 3 Audi cars and bikes and a cab. Who could possibly have authorised such an operation. Let's wait and find out more. Over to the media to check also."
The 50-year-old also hinted that his security company has the details of the operatives and is verifying the facts. "My security company has some details of the operatives and are verifying who is behind this operation."
"This covert invasion of privacy and totally illegal operation I am told cost crores of. Rupees a day. No guessing who could be behind this.Before I spell out the names let me just get confirmation."
Modi has been banned by the BCCI for life for financial irregularities when he was the IPL chief. However, he is expected to make a return as the Rajasthan Cricket Association chief. The decision is currently pending with the Supreme Court of India, which is expected to give its verdict on 4 March.
Twitter posts of Lalit Modi
What I just learnt seems straight out of a spy movie thriller. Apparently someone authorised an agency in london-4 a 24 hour surveillance...
— Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) February 7, 2014
On Retired Chief Justice Mudgal whilst he was in london. I was a secondary target. I am shocked that such a thing happened. I have now .... — Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) February 7, 2014
I get more information from my team. There were 6 teams hired who did round the clock surveillance using 3 Audi cars and bikes and a can
— Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) February 7, 2014
This covert invasion of privacy and totally illegal operation I am told cost crores of. Rupees a day. No guessing who could be behind this — Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) February 7, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales