London Agency Put 24-Hour Surveillance on Retired Chief Justice Mudgal and Me, Tweets Lalit Modi
By Johnlee Varghese | February 8, 2014 1:16 AM EST
Lalit Modi, the controversial former chairman of the Indian Premier League, has kicked up yet another major storm, claiming that he and former Chief Justice Mukul Mudgal have been put on a 24-hour surveillance by an expert team from London.
Modi made the revelation through his Twitter account.
The accusation could further jeopardise the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL) 2014 auctions, scheduled to be held in Bangalore on February 12 and 13, and make it and this season's IPL matches a murky affair.
Justice Mudgal is heading three-member committee, probing the spot-fixing scam of last season's tournament, allegedly involving Gurunath Meiyappan of Chennai Super Kings.
Modi, who often manages to find himself in the thick of things, stated in his Twitter post: "What I just learnt seems straight out of a spy movie thriller. Apparently someone authorised an agency in london 4 a 24 hour surveillance on Retired Chief Justice Mudgal whilst he was in london."
"I was a secondary target. I am shocked that such a thing happened. I have now Asked my lawyers etc to please investigate who was behind this. What we have so far learnt is just like a spy thriller. Will say more as I get more information from my team," he added.
It is widely believed that the committee headed by Justice Mudgul will come out with its report next week, and it is expected to coincide with the IPL 2014 auctions. It is also reported that if the report proves adverse to the Super Kings, it could even affect the team's chances of participating in the tournament.
Modi further revealed that the surveillance operation was carried out by a professional team. "There were 6 teams hired who did round the clock surveillance using 3 Audi cars and bikes and a cab. Who could possibly have authorised such an operation. Let's wait and find out more. Over to the media to check also."
The 50-year-old also hinted that his security company has the details of the operatives and is verifying the facts. "My security company has some details of the operatives and are verifying who is behind this operation."
"This covert invasion of privacy and totally illegal operation I am told cost crores of. Rupees a day. No guessing who could be behind this.Before I spell out the names let me just get confirmation."
Modi has been banned by the BCCI for life for financial irregularities when he was the IPL chief. However, he is expected to make a return as the Rajasthan Cricket Association chief. The decision is currently pending with the Supreme Court of India, which is expected to give its verdict on 4 March.
Twitter posts of Lalit Modi
What I just learnt seems straight out of a spy movie thriller. Apparently someone authorised an agency in london-4 a 24 hour surveillance...
— Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) February 7, 2014
On Retired Chief Justice Mudgal whilst he was in london. I was a secondary target. I am shocked that such a thing happened. I have now .... — Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) February 7, 2014
I get more information from my team. There were 6 teams hired who did round the clock surveillance using 3 Audi cars and bikes and a can
— Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) February 7, 2014
This covert invasion of privacy and totally illegal operation I am told cost crores of. Rupees a day. No guessing who could be behind this — Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) February 7, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers