London Agency Put 24-Hour Surveillance on Retired Chief Justice Mudgal and Me, Tweets Lalit Modi
By Johnlee Varghese | February 8, 2014 1:16 AM EST
Lalit Modi, the controversial former chairman of the Indian Premier League, has kicked up yet another major storm, claiming that he and former Chief Justice Mukul Mudgal have been put on a 24-hour surveillance by an expert team from London.
Modi made the revelation through his Twitter account.
The accusation could further jeopardise the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL) 2014 auctions, scheduled to be held in Bangalore on February 12 and 13, and make it and this season's IPL matches a murky affair.
Justice Mudgal is heading three-member committee, probing the spot-fixing scam of last season's tournament, allegedly involving Gurunath Meiyappan of Chennai Super Kings.
Modi, who often manages to find himself in the thick of things, stated in his Twitter post: "What I just learnt seems straight out of a spy movie thriller. Apparently someone authorised an agency in london 4 a 24 hour surveillance on Retired Chief Justice Mudgal whilst he was in london."
"I was a secondary target. I am shocked that such a thing happened. I have now Asked my lawyers etc to please investigate who was behind this. What we have so far learnt is just like a spy thriller. Will say more as I get more information from my team," he added.
It is widely believed that the committee headed by Justice Mudgul will come out with its report next week, and it is expected to coincide with the IPL 2014 auctions. It is also reported that if the report proves adverse to the Super Kings, it could even affect the team's chances of participating in the tournament.
Modi further revealed that the surveillance operation was carried out by a professional team. "There were 6 teams hired who did round the clock surveillance using 3 Audi cars and bikes and a cab. Who could possibly have authorised such an operation. Let's wait and find out more. Over to the media to check also."
The 50-year-old also hinted that his security company has the details of the operatives and is verifying the facts. "My security company has some details of the operatives and are verifying who is behind this operation."
"This covert invasion of privacy and totally illegal operation I am told cost crores of. Rupees a day. No guessing who could be behind this.Before I spell out the names let me just get confirmation."
Modi has been banned by the BCCI for life for financial irregularities when he was the IPL chief. However, he is expected to make a return as the Rajasthan Cricket Association chief. The decision is currently pending with the Supreme Court of India, which is expected to give its verdict on 4 March.
Twitter posts of Lalit Modi
What I just learnt seems straight out of a spy movie thriller. Apparently someone authorised an agency in london-4 a 24 hour surveillance...
— Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) February 7, 2014
On Retired Chief Justice Mudgal whilst he was in london. I was a secondary target. I am shocked that such a thing happened. I have now .... — Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) February 7, 2014
I get more information from my team. There were 6 teams hired who did round the clock surveillance using 3 Audi cars and bikes and a can
— Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) February 7, 2014
This covert invasion of privacy and totally illegal operation I am told cost crores of. Rupees a day. No guessing who could be behind this — Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) February 7, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools