Busted: Restaurant in Nigeria Served Human Meat, Roasted Head
By Johnlee Varghese | February 8, 2014 12:29 AM EST
A restaurant in Nigeria was found to have used human flesh to serve delicacies to its patrons. The revelation came after the local police, acting on a tip-off, raided the place and recovered two human heads.
The restaurant, located in a popular market area in the Anambra state, was closed, after 11 people, including the hotel owner, were arrested by the police.
Even though there has been several stray incidents of cannibalism, this was said to be the first time a Nigerian eatery was found to have been using human flesh.
In the raid, the police had also recovered two army caps, 40 rounds of live ammunition and several cell phones, the local daily Nigeria Tribune reported. The tip-off was given by some of the local residents.
"Each time I came to market, because the hotel is very close to the market, I always noticed funny movements in and out of the hotel; dirty people with dirty characters always come into the hotel. So, I was not surprised when the police made this discovery," a vegetable seller in the area told Osundefender.
A Nigerian pastor was also among the people, who were served human meat at the restaurant. "I was told that a lump of meat was being sold at N700, I was surprised. So I did not know it was human meat that I ate at such expensive price," he said.
Several cases of cannibalism have emerged in Nigeria and there has been an increasing public anger against such incidents. When such cases are reported, the public often takes matter into their hands and tries to set an example against cannibalistic behavior.
Back in September, it was reported that two men, who were branded cannibals and human flesh eaters, barely escaped lynching in Lagos. The two alleged cannibals were almost set ablaze by a restless crowd, before the local police intervened.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- New Zealand Election Countdown: Final Campaign Week Marred With More Controversial 'Revelations'
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional