Busted: Restaurant in Nigeria Served Human Meat, Roasted Head
By Johnlee Varghese | February 8, 2014 12:29 AM EST
A restaurant in Nigeria was found to have used human flesh to serve delicacies to its patrons. The revelation came after the local police, acting on a tip-off, raided the place and recovered two human heads.
The restaurant, located in a popular market area in the Anambra state, was closed, after 11 people, including the hotel owner, were arrested by the police.
Even though there has been several stray incidents of cannibalism, this was said to be the first time a Nigerian eatery was found to have been using human flesh.
In the raid, the police had also recovered two army caps, 40 rounds of live ammunition and several cell phones, the local daily Nigeria Tribune reported. The tip-off was given by some of the local residents.
"Each time I came to market, because the hotel is very close to the market, I always noticed funny movements in and out of the hotel; dirty people with dirty characters always come into the hotel. So, I was not surprised when the police made this discovery," a vegetable seller in the area told Osundefender.
A Nigerian pastor was also among the people, who were served human meat at the restaurant. "I was told that a lump of meat was being sold at N700, I was surprised. So I did not know it was human meat that I ate at such expensive price," he said.
Several cases of cannibalism have emerged in Nigeria and there has been an increasing public anger against such incidents. When such cases are reported, the public often takes matter into their hands and tries to set an example against cannibalistic behavior.
Back in September, it was reported that two men, who were branded cannibals and human flesh eaters, barely escaped lynching in Lagos. The two alleged cannibals were almost set ablaze by a restless crowd, before the local police intervened.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales