Obama Calls Putin 'Shtick': What Did he Really Mean?
By Johnlee Varghese | February 8, 2014 12:05 AM EST
Etymologically speaking the word shtick has Yiddish origins but is also closely related to German word 'stück', not be confused with ‘stuck-up’. In simple terms, it means 'something that a person likes to do or does well'. A shtick also refers to an adopted persona, usually for comedy performances.
So is Obama calling Putin a comedian?
Obama and Putin have had turbulent diplomatic relations, with disagreements stemming over Syria, American fugitive Edward Snowden and human rights.
But in the new interview, which coincides with the Sochi Games 2014, the US President vouches for his Russian counterpart and denies that their relationship is 'icy'.
Obama noted in the NBC interview that Putin's bored, tough guy act was designed to boost his domestic political image. In fact, Obama pointed out that Putin is funny and friendly.
"The truth of the matter is that when we are in meetings there are a lot of exchanges, there's a surprising amount of humor, and a lot of give and take," he said in the excerpts of the interview, released by NBC.
Obama commenting on Putin’s shtick took many by surprise. Senior White House correspondent Mark Knoller even commented on the matter on Twitter. “First time a US president has spoken publicly about a foreign leader's 'shtick'," he wrote.
First time a US president has spoken publicly about a foreign leader's "shtick."
— Mark Knoller (@markknoller) February 7, 2014
Obama seems to have been hinting that the Russian president attempts to keep a serious demeanor comes across as funny. “US politicians have a different style. We tend to smile once in a while,” Obama added.
And the readers, who are still confusing shtick with a similar-sounding expletive, should know that in common usage, the word shtick also means any talent, style, habit, or other eccentricity for which a person is particularly well-known, even if not intended for comedic purposes.
So in short, may be what President Obama means is that Russian President Putin is funny even when he does not intend to be!
Now that certainly raises a question: what is Obama’s shtick?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- UN Vows to Bring MH17 Crash Perpetrators to Justice; Downing of Plane a 'War Crime'
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand