Obama Calls Putin 'Shtick': What Did he Really Mean?
By Johnlee Varghese | February 8, 2014 12:05 AM EST
Etymologically speaking the word shtick has Yiddish origins but is also closely related to German word 'stück', not be confused with ‘stuck-up’. In simple terms, it means 'something that a person likes to do or does well'. A shtick also refers to an adopted persona, usually for comedy performances.
So is Obama calling Putin a comedian?
Obama and Putin have had turbulent diplomatic relations, with disagreements stemming over Syria, American fugitive Edward Snowden and human rights.
But in the new interview, which coincides with the Sochi Games 2014, the US President vouches for his Russian counterpart and denies that their relationship is 'icy'.
Obama noted in the NBC interview that Putin's bored, tough guy act was designed to boost his domestic political image. In fact, Obama pointed out that Putin is funny and friendly.
"The truth of the matter is that when we are in meetings there are a lot of exchanges, there's a surprising amount of humor, and a lot of give and take," he said in the excerpts of the interview, released by NBC.
Obama commenting on Putin’s shtick took many by surprise. Senior White House correspondent Mark Knoller even commented on the matter on Twitter. “First time a US president has spoken publicly about a foreign leader's 'shtick'," he wrote.
First time a US president has spoken publicly about a foreign leader's "shtick."
— Mark Knoller (@markknoller) February 7, 2014
Obama seems to have been hinting that the Russian president attempts to keep a serious demeanor comes across as funny. “US politicians have a different style. We tend to smile once in a while,” Obama added.
And the readers, who are still confusing shtick with a similar-sounding expletive, should know that in common usage, the word shtick also means any talent, style, habit, or other eccentricity for which a person is particularly well-known, even if not intended for comedic purposes.
So in short, may be what President Obama means is that Russian President Putin is funny even when he does not intend to be!
Now that certainly raises a question: what is Obama’s shtick?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles