Georges St. Pierre May Not Come Back to UFC
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 7, 2014 11:58 PM EST
Georges St. Pierre may not come back at all to UFC, at least this is what his boxing coach Freddie Roach thinks.
Roach spoke exclusively to Fight Hub TV and said that if St. Pierre didn't make his comeback in 2014, the Canadian mixed martial artist may well be fully retired from fighting.
MMA: UFC 167-St-Pierre vs Hendricks
"He told me he wanted to take two years off and I told him two years was retirement," said Roach. The Hall of Famer trainer told St. Pierre to rest for one year and get back in the whenever he feels like it.
"If you feel hungry enough to get back in there, we'll do it."
"If not, we'll call it a day," he added.
Roach explained how St. Pierre was started getting depressed having to deal with a lot of things around him, especially how St. Pierre was being treated by Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White.
"Dana talking really bad about him, getting him depressed and so forth dragging him down."
Dana's attitude towards St. Pierre has apparently influenced the former UFC welterweight champion to take an indefinite leave of absence from the octagon ring, according to Roach.
Roach went on and said that Dana wasn't helping to build St. Pierre up at all. "I'd think about going to another company if that was me, but UFC is a monopoly, it's the only game in town."
St. Pierre made his announcement that he will be taking some time off the octagon ring in December. His decision came instantaneously after his main event UFC 167 fight against Johny Hendricks. St. Pierre's break from UFC seems to be working well for the Canadian fighter because he has been looking good as ever.
St. Pierre recently attended Super Bowl XLVIII and even shared to his Twitter followers a picture of him watching the big game. While St. Pierre takes his sweet time off the UFC, the vacant welterweight belt will be up for grabs in the main event of UFC 171, featuring Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29