Georges St. Pierre May Not Come Back to UFC
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 7, 2014 11:58 PM EST
Georges St. Pierre may not come back at all to UFC, at least this is what his boxing coach Freddie Roach thinks.
Roach spoke exclusively to Fight Hub TV and said that if St. Pierre didn't make his comeback in 2014, the Canadian mixed martial artist may well be fully retired from fighting.
MMA: UFC 167-St-Pierre vs Hendricks
"He told me he wanted to take two years off and I told him two years was retirement," said Roach. The Hall of Famer trainer told St. Pierre to rest for one year and get back in the whenever he feels like it.
"If you feel hungry enough to get back in there, we'll do it."
"If not, we'll call it a day," he added.
Roach explained how St. Pierre was started getting depressed having to deal with a lot of things around him, especially how St. Pierre was being treated by Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White.
"Dana talking really bad about him, getting him depressed and so forth dragging him down."
Dana's attitude towards St. Pierre has apparently influenced the former UFC welterweight champion to take an indefinite leave of absence from the octagon ring, according to Roach.
Roach went on and said that Dana wasn't helping to build St. Pierre up at all. "I'd think about going to another company if that was me, but UFC is a monopoly, it's the only game in town."
St. Pierre made his announcement that he will be taking some time off the octagon ring in December. His decision came instantaneously after his main event UFC 167 fight against Johny Hendricks. St. Pierre's break from UFC seems to be working well for the Canadian fighter because he has been looking good as ever.
St. Pierre recently attended Super Bowl XLVIII and even shared to his Twitter followers a picture of him watching the big game. While St. Pierre takes his sweet time off the UFC, the vacant welterweight belt will be up for grabs in the main event of UFC 171, featuring Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]