Georges St. Pierre May Not Come Back to UFC
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 7, 2014 11:58 PM EST
Georges St. Pierre may not come back at all to UFC, at least this is what his boxing coach Freddie Roach thinks.
Roach spoke exclusively to Fight Hub TV and said that if St. Pierre didn't make his comeback in 2014, the Canadian mixed martial artist may well be fully retired from fighting.
MMA: UFC 167-St-Pierre vs Hendricks
"He told me he wanted to take two years off and I told him two years was retirement," said Roach. The Hall of Famer trainer told St. Pierre to rest for one year and get back in the whenever he feels like it.
"If you feel hungry enough to get back in there, we'll do it."
"If not, we'll call it a day," he added.
Roach explained how St. Pierre was started getting depressed having to deal with a lot of things around him, especially how St. Pierre was being treated by Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White.
"Dana talking really bad about him, getting him depressed and so forth dragging him down."
Dana's attitude towards St. Pierre has apparently influenced the former UFC welterweight champion to take an indefinite leave of absence from the octagon ring, according to Roach.
Roach went on and said that Dana wasn't helping to build St. Pierre up at all. "I'd think about going to another company if that was me, but UFC is a monopoly, it's the only game in town."
St. Pierre made his announcement that he will be taking some time off the octagon ring in December. His decision came instantaneously after his main event UFC 167 fight against Johny Hendricks. St. Pierre's break from UFC seems to be working well for the Canadian fighter because he has been looking good as ever.
St. Pierre recently attended Super Bowl XLVIII and even shared to his Twitter followers a picture of him watching the big game. While St. Pierre takes his sweet time off the UFC, the vacant welterweight belt will be up for grabs in the main event of UFC 171, featuring Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal