Georges St. Pierre May Not Come Back to UFC
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 7, 2014 11:58 PM EST
Georges St. Pierre may not come back at all to UFC, at least this is what his boxing coach Freddie Roach thinks.
Roach spoke exclusively to Fight Hub TV and said that if St. Pierre didn't make his comeback in 2014, the Canadian mixed martial artist may well be fully retired from fighting.
MMA: UFC 167-St-Pierre vs Hendricks
"He told me he wanted to take two years off and I told him two years was retirement," said Roach. The Hall of Famer trainer told St. Pierre to rest for one year and get back in the whenever he feels like it.
"If you feel hungry enough to get back in there, we'll do it."
"If not, we'll call it a day," he added.
Roach explained how St. Pierre was started getting depressed having to deal with a lot of things around him, especially how St. Pierre was being treated by Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White.
"Dana talking really bad about him, getting him depressed and so forth dragging him down."
Dana's attitude towards St. Pierre has apparently influenced the former UFC welterweight champion to take an indefinite leave of absence from the octagon ring, according to Roach.
Roach went on and said that Dana wasn't helping to build St. Pierre up at all. "I'd think about going to another company if that was me, but UFC is a monopoly, it's the only game in town."
St. Pierre made his announcement that he will be taking some time off the octagon ring in December. His decision came instantaneously after his main event UFC 167 fight against Johny Hendricks. St. Pierre's break from UFC seems to be working well for the Canadian fighter because he has been looking good as ever.
St. Pierre recently attended Super Bowl XLVIII and even shared to his Twitter followers a picture of him watching the big game. While St. Pierre takes his sweet time off the UFC, the vacant welterweight belt will be up for grabs in the main event of UFC 171, featuring Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Bendable Galaxy S6 Release in 2015 Possible as Samsung Reveals Plans
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports