NBA Trade News: Lakers to Sign Either Lance Stephenson or Eric Bledsoe This Offseason
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 7, 2014 11:55 PM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers are reportedly intrigued on the possibility of signing either incoming free agent guards Eric Bledsoe or Lance Stephenson, a source close to situation reported on Thursday.
Kobe Bryant and the Lakers could get some help this summer
The Lakers are expected to go after several free agents this coming summer after becoming a mediocre ballclub these past two seasons. With Pau Gasol expected to go off the books, the purple-and-gold will have the capacity to sign some of the big names in the free-agency market such as LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Carmelo Anthony.
However, General Manager Mitch Kupchak stressed that they could wait for another year before they use their cap space for an All-Star caliber players such as Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge.
Then again, there's still the possibility that the Lakers could pull off a $10 million per year deal on a budding star such Bledsoe and Stephenson.
According to ESPN writer Chris Broussard, the Lakers are interested to sign Bledsoe who will be a restricted free agent this summer. Bledsoe, traded by the Los Angeles Clippers to the Phoenix Suns in the offseason, is currently sitting out with a torn MCL injury. However, the dynamic point guard is expected to return after All-Star break as he tries to help the Suns reach the postseason once again.
"Speaking of the Suns, I was told the Los Angeles Lakers might go hard after Suns point guard Eric Bledsoe, who is out the rest of the season with a knee injury. Bledsoe will be a restricted free agent next summer, but I'm told the Lakers might be willing to overpay him to pry him away from Phoenix," Broussard stated.
Another free agent targets for the Lakers is Stephenson, who is averaging 14.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 5.8 assists per game this season. The versatile combo guard has been one of the key cogs for the Pacers, alongside Roy Hibbert and Paul George, and several teams have already expressed their interest in snatching him from the Pacers this summer.
"The Lakers, Bulls and Bobcats will be among the teams who can and would offer an ample payday and increased opportunity for Stephenson this summer," Sean Deveney of the Sporting News.
For more Lakers trade rumors, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast