NBA Trade News: Lakers to Sign Either Lance Stephenson or Eric Bledsoe This Offseason
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 7, 2014 11:55 PM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers are reportedly intrigued on the possibility of signing either incoming free agent guards Eric Bledsoe or Lance Stephenson, a source close to situation reported on Thursday.
Kobe Bryant and the Lakers could get some help this summer
The Lakers are expected to go after several free agents this coming summer after becoming a mediocre ballclub these past two seasons. With Pau Gasol expected to go off the books, the purple-and-gold will have the capacity to sign some of the big names in the free-agency market such as LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Carmelo Anthony.
However, General Manager Mitch Kupchak stressed that they could wait for another year before they use their cap space for an All-Star caliber players such as Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge.
Then again, there's still the possibility that the Lakers could pull off a $10 million per year deal on a budding star such Bledsoe and Stephenson.
According to ESPN writer Chris Broussard, the Lakers are interested to sign Bledsoe who will be a restricted free agent this summer. Bledsoe, traded by the Los Angeles Clippers to the Phoenix Suns in the offseason, is currently sitting out with a torn MCL injury. However, the dynamic point guard is expected to return after All-Star break as he tries to help the Suns reach the postseason once again.
"Speaking of the Suns, I was told the Los Angeles Lakers might go hard after Suns point guard Eric Bledsoe, who is out the rest of the season with a knee injury. Bledsoe will be a restricted free agent next summer, but I'm told the Lakers might be willing to overpay him to pry him away from Phoenix," Broussard stated.
Another free agent targets for the Lakers is Stephenson, who is averaging 14.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 5.8 assists per game this season. The versatile combo guard has been one of the key cogs for the Pacers, alongside Roy Hibbert and Paul George, and several teams have already expressed their interest in snatching him from the Pacers this summer.
"The Lakers, Bulls and Bobcats will be among the teams who can and would offer an ample payday and increased opportunity for Stephenson this summer," Sean Deveney of the Sporting News.
For more Lakers trade rumors, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’