NBA Trade News: Lakers to Sign Either Lance Stephenson or Eric Bledsoe This Offseason
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 7, 2014 11:55 PM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers are reportedly intrigued on the possibility of signing either incoming free agent guards Eric Bledsoe or Lance Stephenson, a source close to situation reported on Thursday.
Kobe Bryant and the Lakers could get some help this summer
The Lakers are expected to go after several free agents this coming summer after becoming a mediocre ballclub these past two seasons. With Pau Gasol expected to go off the books, the purple-and-gold will have the capacity to sign some of the big names in the free-agency market such as LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Carmelo Anthony.
However, General Manager Mitch Kupchak stressed that they could wait for another year before they use their cap space for an All-Star caliber players such as Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge.
Then again, there's still the possibility that the Lakers could pull off a $10 million per year deal on a budding star such Bledsoe and Stephenson.
According to ESPN writer Chris Broussard, the Lakers are interested to sign Bledsoe who will be a restricted free agent this summer. Bledsoe, traded by the Los Angeles Clippers to the Phoenix Suns in the offseason, is currently sitting out with a torn MCL injury. However, the dynamic point guard is expected to return after All-Star break as he tries to help the Suns reach the postseason once again.
"Speaking of the Suns, I was told the Los Angeles Lakers might go hard after Suns point guard Eric Bledsoe, who is out the rest of the season with a knee injury. Bledsoe will be a restricted free agent next summer, but I'm told the Lakers might be willing to overpay him to pry him away from Phoenix," Broussard stated.
Another free agent targets for the Lakers is Stephenson, who is averaging 14.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 5.8 assists per game this season. The versatile combo guard has been one of the key cogs for the Pacers, alongside Roy Hibbert and Paul George, and several teams have already expressed their interest in snatching him from the Pacers this summer.
"The Lakers, Bulls and Bobcats will be among the teams who can and would offer an ample payday and increased opportunity for Stephenson this summer," Sean Deveney of the Sporting News.
For more Lakers trade rumors, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best