NBA Trade News: Lakers to Sign Either Lance Stephenson or Eric Bledsoe This Offseason
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 7, 2014 11:55 PM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers are reportedly intrigued on the possibility of signing either incoming free agent guards Eric Bledsoe or Lance Stephenson, a source close to situation reported on Thursday.
Kobe Bryant and the Lakers could get some help this summer
The Lakers are expected to go after several free agents this coming summer after becoming a mediocre ballclub these past two seasons. With Pau Gasol expected to go off the books, the purple-and-gold will have the capacity to sign some of the big names in the free-agency market such as LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Carmelo Anthony.
However, General Manager Mitch Kupchak stressed that they could wait for another year before they use their cap space for an All-Star caliber players such as Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge.
Then again, there's still the possibility that the Lakers could pull off a $10 million per year deal on a budding star such Bledsoe and Stephenson.
According to ESPN writer Chris Broussard, the Lakers are interested to sign Bledsoe who will be a restricted free agent this summer. Bledsoe, traded by the Los Angeles Clippers to the Phoenix Suns in the offseason, is currently sitting out with a torn MCL injury. However, the dynamic point guard is expected to return after All-Star break as he tries to help the Suns reach the postseason once again.
"Speaking of the Suns, I was told the Los Angeles Lakers might go hard after Suns point guard Eric Bledsoe, who is out the rest of the season with a knee injury. Bledsoe will be a restricted free agent next summer, but I'm told the Lakers might be willing to overpay him to pry him away from Phoenix," Broussard stated.
Another free agent targets for the Lakers is Stephenson, who is averaging 14.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 5.8 assists per game this season. The versatile combo guard has been one of the key cogs for the Pacers, alongside Roy Hibbert and Paul George, and several teams have already expressed their interest in snatching him from the Pacers this summer.
"The Lakers, Bulls and Bobcats will be among the teams who can and would offer an ample payday and increased opportunity for Stephenson this summer," Sean Deveney of the Sporting News.
For more Lakers trade rumors, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time