Jay Leno Quits 'The Tonight Show': Comedian Bids Tearful Goodbye as Jimmy Fallon Takes Over
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 7, 2014 10:16 PM EST
Veteran television host and comedian Jay Leno bid goodbye to "The Tonight Show" on Thursday, describing the stint as "the greatest 22 years of my life." The 63-year-old was seen trying to hold back tears on his final appearance on the show.
Late night talk show hosts Jay Leno (L) and Jimmy Fallon pose backstage at the 70th annual Golden Globe Awards in Beverly Hills, California, January 13, 2013.
Leno, who joined "The Tonight Show" in 1992, had quit the show in 2009 before returning to replace Conan O'Brien, a year later. He made fun at his own earlier exit in his final episode, saying: "I don't like goodbyes, NBC does."
"I am the luckiest guy in the world. This is tricky," said an emotional Leno. He added that the crew of "The Tonight Show" has become his family, as he was almost without a family after the death of his parents and brother.
"The first year of this show I lost my mom; the second year I lost my dad. Then my brother died and after that I was pretty much out of family. The folks here became my family," stated Leno. "When people say to me, 'Hey, why don't you go to ABC, why don't you go to Fox?' I didn't know anybody over there. These are the only people I know."
Billy Crystal, who was Leno's first guest in 1992, came to the last show as well. He called on celebrities like Jack Black, Kim Kardashian, Carol Burnett and Oprah Winfrey to pay a musical tribute to Leno.
"Jay, you've made a whole lot of jokes about me over the years, but don't worry, I'm not upset," US President Barack Obama said, in a pre-taped message. "Hope you have a warm coat, funnyman."
Meanwhile, Mark Walberg said: "Why would I give a (expletive) about what he does. He's a grown man."
Several big personalities like Kevin Bacon, Steve Carell, Bob Costas, Bill Maher, Matt Damon, Kevin Hart, Charlie Sheen and Dana Carvey also spoke on what Leno should take up next.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions