NASA’s Curiosity Rover Snaps First Images of Earth and Moon [PHOTOS]
By Ankita Mehta | February 7, 2014 9:45 PM EST
NASA, in its latest revelations, has said that the planet Earth and Moon appears like 'evening stars' from Mars's surface. NASA's Curiosity Rover on the red planet has captured the first images of Earth and Moon from the Martian land. The Curiosity Rover took the photos a week ago; however the agency released the photographs only on Friday night.
"Look Back in Wonder... My 1st picture of Earth from the surface of Mars," the tweet from Curiosity Rover's official Twitter handle read. The images were taken during Curiosity's 529th Martian day, which was on 31 January according to Earth's chronology. The photos were captured approximately 80 minutes after the sunset. At the time of taking pictures, the distance between Earth and the red planet was about 99 million miles (160 million kilometres).
"A human observer with normal vision, if standing on Mars, could easily see the earth and the moon as two distinct, bright 'evening stars,'" NASA said in a statement. "The image has been processed to remove effects of cosmic rays," the statement added.
The view of the nightfall sky and Martian skyline shows Earth as the brightest light, while moon, which is underneath Earth, is hardly visible.
However, this is not the first time the Earth has been captured from Mars surface. In 2004, NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Spirit captured Earth.
However, the most famous photo of Earth from space was snapped in 1990 by Voyager 1. The image "Pale Blue Dot" was taken from a distance of 6 billion kilometers. In that image the Earth appeared as one-pixel dot.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Trina Targets French Montana And Kardashian In A Song To Show What Happens To A Reject
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best