NASA’s Curiosity Rover Snaps First Images of Earth and Moon [PHOTOS]
By Ankita Mehta | February 7, 2014 9:45 PM EST
NASA, in its latest revelations, has said that the planet Earth and Moon appears like 'evening stars' from Mars's surface. NASA's Curiosity Rover on the red planet has captured the first images of Earth and Moon from the Martian land. The Curiosity Rover took the photos a week ago; however the agency released the photographs only on Friday night.
"Look Back in Wonder... My 1st picture of Earth from the surface of Mars," the tweet from Curiosity Rover's official Twitter handle read. The images were taken during Curiosity's 529th Martian day, which was on 31 January according to Earth's chronology. The photos were captured approximately 80 minutes after the sunset. At the time of taking pictures, the distance between Earth and the red planet was about 99 million miles (160 million kilometres).
"A human observer with normal vision, if standing on Mars, could easily see the earth and the moon as two distinct, bright 'evening stars,'" NASA said in a statement. "The image has been processed to remove effects of cosmic rays," the statement added.
The view of the nightfall sky and Martian skyline shows Earth as the brightest light, while moon, which is underneath Earth, is hardly visible.
However, this is not the first time the Earth has been captured from Mars surface. In 2004, NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Spirit captured Earth.
However, the most famous photo of Earth from space was snapped in 1990 by Voyager 1. The image "Pale Blue Dot" was taken from a distance of 6 billion kilometers. In that image the Earth appeared as one-pixel dot.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks