Scarlett Johansson's Shocking No Makeup Photo
By Vanessa Francisco | February 7, 2014 7:44 PM EST
Scarlett Johansson is one of the A-listers who have ditched the glam and glitz look to be photographed without any makeup for the 20th annual Vanity Fair Hollywood Edition. The pictures were taken by award-winning American Photographer Chuck Close, who took the photos with a 20-inch x 24-inch Polaroid camera. The 29-year-old actress wore a gray sweat shirt and a necklace with a big smile in front of the camera.
No entourage was allowed during the photoshoot but a close friend or partner was acceptable. The Hollywood A-listers were instructed to go and leave the studio on their own. Lunch was served and for a treat it was nothing fancy. They had coffee and sandwich. The stars were kept for 3 hours and not allowed to leave early. Their outfits were their own responsibility.
"I do not do glamour shots and they are not airbrushed or whatever. So they can be rough. I need to talk people through it," the photographer said in Vanity Fair's Up Close and Personal video shown on the magazine's website. "They have to give up a big deal of vanity to do it. It takes a real act of faith and generosity on the subject's part to go with it and give me their image with having no control over what's going to happen."
Other stars photographed in this series for Vanity Fair included Julia Roberts, Oprah Winfrey, Kate Winslet and Brad Pitt who have facial acne scars usually covered by concealer. At the time of the photoshoot, Winslet was pregnant with her third child.
"This will shock people," Close said.
"There will be people who will think I did not glamorize the subject enough and they will think I was cruel. There will be those who will say thank God, somebody shows people as real people, the way they are."
It seems to be a Hollywood trend with the likes of Cameron Diaz, Kim Kardashian, Jessica Alba and recently Beyonce, taking to Instagram with no makeup on, showing off their natural beauty.
Take a look and download all the photos here
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage