Scarlett Johansson's Shocking No Makeup Photo
By Vanessa Francisco | February 7, 2014 7:44 PM EST
Scarlett Johansson is one of the A-listers who have ditched the glam and glitz look to be photographed without any makeup for the 20th annual Vanity Fair Hollywood Edition. The pictures were taken by award-winning American Photographer Chuck Close, who took the photos with a 20-inch x 24-inch Polaroid camera. The 29-year-old actress wore a gray sweat shirt and a necklace with a big smile in front of the camera.
No entourage was allowed during the photoshoot but a close friend or partner was acceptable. The Hollywood A-listers were instructed to go and leave the studio on their own. Lunch was served and for a treat it was nothing fancy. They had coffee and sandwich. The stars were kept for 3 hours and not allowed to leave early. Their outfits were their own responsibility.
"I do not do glamour shots and they are not airbrushed or whatever. So they can be rough. I need to talk people through it," the photographer said in Vanity Fair's Up Close and Personal video shown on the magazine's website. "They have to give up a big deal of vanity to do it. It takes a real act of faith and generosity on the subject's part to go with it and give me their image with having no control over what's going to happen."
Other stars photographed in this series for Vanity Fair included Julia Roberts, Oprah Winfrey, Kate Winslet and Brad Pitt who have facial acne scars usually covered by concealer. At the time of the photoshoot, Winslet was pregnant with her third child.
"This will shock people," Close said.
"There will be people who will think I did not glamorize the subject enough and they will think I was cruel. There will be those who will say thank God, somebody shows people as real people, the way they are."
It seems to be a Hollywood trend with the likes of Cameron Diaz, Kim Kardashian, Jessica Alba and recently Beyonce, taking to Instagram with no makeup on, showing off their natural beauty.
Take a look and download all the photos here
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]