World Cup 2014 News: Barcelona Superstar says He Could Peak at the Right Time for Argentina
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 7, 2014 6:40 PM EST
Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi will be having his hands full in the next few months as the 2014 FIFA World Cup kicks-off this coming summer.
“Slowly but surely I will be getting there to hopefully peak at the right time of the year.” - Lionel Messi
The Argentine has been heavily criticised for failure to deliver the same performance at international level vis-à-vis club level.
He managed to score only once in eight appearances for the La Albiceleste in the World Cup, but believes that his team's form might help him in changing his fortunes.
"Slowly but surely I will be getting there to hopefully peak at the right time of the year," Messi told BBC Football Focus.
"I hope this could be a great year not only for me but also for Barcelona and for Argentina."
He opined that the upcoming games have an added spice to it since it will be hosted by their South American rivals.
"It will be extra special, well above all the other World Cups. It's in Brazil, with everything that means for us, our supporters will be there in their thousands and with them behind us I'm sure we can achieve something very, very special."
After Uruguay eliminated them in the Copa America in July 2013, Argentina have remain undefeated in their in their succeeding five international friendlies and given the positivity surrounding the team, the "Little Magician" feels that his side will be able to achieve great things in June.
"I think this World Cup arrives at a good time for Argentina. We have grown as a team on and off the pitch. We have a great bunch of lads that love to play for our country," he disclosed.
"I think we will get to Brazil in a great shape and with all the chances in the world. We know what a World Cup is about."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- Arsenal FC: Zlatan Or Ronaldo? Wenger Reveals His Biggest 'Missed Signing' Regret
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional