World Cup 2014 News: Barcelona Superstar says He Could Peak at the Right Time for Argentina
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 7, 2014 6:40 PM EST
Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi will be having his hands full in the next few months as the 2014 FIFA World Cup kicks-off this coming summer.
“Slowly but surely I will be getting there to hopefully peak at the right time of the year.” - Lionel Messi
The Argentine has been heavily criticised for failure to deliver the same performance at international level vis-à-vis club level.
He managed to score only once in eight appearances for the La Albiceleste in the World Cup, but believes that his team's form might help him in changing his fortunes.
"Slowly but surely I will be getting there to hopefully peak at the right time of the year," Messi told BBC Football Focus.
"I hope this could be a great year not only for me but also for Barcelona and for Argentina."
He opined that the upcoming games have an added spice to it since it will be hosted by their South American rivals.
"It will be extra special, well above all the other World Cups. It's in Brazil, with everything that means for us, our supporters will be there in their thousands and with them behind us I'm sure we can achieve something very, very special."
After Uruguay eliminated them in the Copa America in July 2013, Argentina have remain undefeated in their in their succeeding five international friendlies and given the positivity surrounding the team, the "Little Magician" feels that his side will be able to achieve great things in June.
"I think this World Cup arrives at a good time for Argentina. We have grown as a team on and off the pitch. We have a great bunch of lads that love to play for our country," he disclosed.
"I think we will get to Brazil in a great shape and with all the chances in the world. We know what a World Cup is about."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Exit For Messi Is Possible - Tata Martino
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes