World Cup 2014 News: Barcelona Superstar says He Could Peak at the Right Time for Argentina
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 7, 2014 6:40 PM EST
Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi will be having his hands full in the next few months as the 2014 FIFA World Cup kicks-off this coming summer.
“Slowly but surely I will be getting there to hopefully peak at the right time of the year.” - Lionel Messi
The Argentine has been heavily criticised for failure to deliver the same performance at international level vis-à-vis club level.
He managed to score only once in eight appearances for the La Albiceleste in the World Cup, but believes that his team's form might help him in changing his fortunes.
"Slowly but surely I will be getting there to hopefully peak at the right time of the year," Messi told BBC Football Focus.
"I hope this could be a great year not only for me but also for Barcelona and for Argentina."
He opined that the upcoming games have an added spice to it since it will be hosted by their South American rivals.
"It will be extra special, well above all the other World Cups. It's in Brazil, with everything that means for us, our supporters will be there in their thousands and with them behind us I'm sure we can achieve something very, very special."
After Uruguay eliminated them in the Copa America in July 2013, Argentina have remain undefeated in their in their succeeding five international friendlies and given the positivity surrounding the team, the "Little Magician" feels that his side will be able to achieve great things in June.
"I think this World Cup arrives at a good time for Argentina. We have grown as a team on and off the pitch. We have a great bunch of lads that love to play for our country," he disclosed.
"I think we will get to Brazil in a great shape and with all the chances in the world. We know what a World Cup is about."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles