World Cup 2014 News: Barcelona Superstar says He Could Peak at the Right Time for Argentina
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 7, 2014 6:40 PM EST
Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi will be having his hands full in the next few months as the 2014 FIFA World Cup kicks-off this coming summer.
“Slowly but surely I will be getting there to hopefully peak at the right time of the year.” - Lionel Messi
The Argentine has been heavily criticised for failure to deliver the same performance at international level vis-à-vis club level.
He managed to score only once in eight appearances for the La Albiceleste in the World Cup, but believes that his team's form might help him in changing his fortunes.
"Slowly but surely I will be getting there to hopefully peak at the right time of the year," Messi told BBC Football Focus.
"I hope this could be a great year not only for me but also for Barcelona and for Argentina."
He opined that the upcoming games have an added spice to it since it will be hosted by their South American rivals.
"It will be extra special, well above all the other World Cups. It's in Brazil, with everything that means for us, our supporters will be there in their thousands and with them behind us I'm sure we can achieve something very, very special."
After Uruguay eliminated them in the Copa America in July 2013, Argentina have remain undefeated in their in their succeeding five international friendlies and given the positivity surrounding the team, the "Little Magician" feels that his side will be able to achieve great things in June.
"I think this World Cup arrives at a good time for Argentina. We have grown as a team on and off the pitch. We have a great bunch of lads that love to play for our country," he disclosed.
"I think we will get to Brazil in a great shape and with all the chances in the world. We know what a World Cup is about."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Human Guinea Pigs for Google Health Projects