World Cup 2014 News: Barcelona Superstar says He Could Peak at the Right Time for Argentina
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 7, 2014 6:40 PM EST
Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi will be having his hands full in the next few months as the 2014 FIFA World Cup kicks-off this coming summer.
“Slowly but surely I will be getting there to hopefully peak at the right time of the year.” - Lionel Messi
The Argentine has been heavily criticised for failure to deliver the same performance at international level vis-à-vis club level.
He managed to score only once in eight appearances for the La Albiceleste in the World Cup, but believes that his team's form might help him in changing his fortunes.
"Slowly but surely I will be getting there to hopefully peak at the right time of the year," Messi told BBC Football Focus.
"I hope this could be a great year not only for me but also for Barcelona and for Argentina."
He opined that the upcoming games have an added spice to it since it will be hosted by their South American rivals.
"It will be extra special, well above all the other World Cups. It's in Brazil, with everything that means for us, our supporters will be there in their thousands and with them behind us I'm sure we can achieve something very, very special."
After Uruguay eliminated them in the Copa America in July 2013, Argentina have remain undefeated in their in their succeeding five international friendlies and given the positivity surrounding the team, the "Little Magician" feels that his side will be able to achieve great things in June.
"I think this World Cup arrives at a good time for Argentina. We have grown as a team on and off the pitch. We have a great bunch of lads that love to play for our country," he disclosed.
"I think we will get to Brazil in a great shape and with all the chances in the world. We know what a World Cup is about."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage