Rupee Edges up Tracking Share Gains
February 7, 2014 6:13 PM EST
The rupee is trading at 62.33/34 versus its close of 62.3650/3750, tracking some gains in the domestic sharemarket.
The BSE Sensex is trading up half a percent and will be watched for fund flows. .BO
Traders also expect dollar inflows towards the Vodafone deal, spectrum auctions among other things.
Vodafone Group Plc (VOD.L) won the cabinet's approval for its $1.6 billion deal to buy out minority partners in its unit in the country, Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said on Thursday.
Gains in the rupee come after the RBI said late on Wednesday that the government had cancelled its previously deferred bond sale of 150 billion rupees.
The cancellation shows the government is confident of meeting its fiscal deficit target of 4.8 percent of GDP for 2013/14, traders say.
The rupee could strengthen further in the near-term to around 61.80 to a dollar, trader says, as the government's cash position is set to improve further due to gains from the ongoing mobile spectrum auction.
Globally, the dollar struggles against Asian currencies ahead of key event risks, namely the ECB's policy decision due later on Thursday and U.S. jobs data on Friday.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop