Rupee Edges up Tracking Share Gains
February 7, 2014 6:13 PM EST
The rupee is trading at 62.33/34 versus its close of 62.3650/3750, tracking some gains in the domestic sharemarket.
The BSE Sensex is trading up half a percent and will be watched for fund flows. .BO
Traders also expect dollar inflows towards the Vodafone deal, spectrum auctions among other things.
Vodafone Group Plc (VOD.L) won the cabinet's approval for its $1.6 billion deal to buy out minority partners in its unit in the country, Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said on Thursday.
Gains in the rupee come after the RBI said late on Wednesday that the government had cancelled its previously deferred bond sale of 150 billion rupees.
The cancellation shows the government is confident of meeting its fiscal deficit target of 4.8 percent of GDP for 2013/14, traders say.
The rupee could strengthen further in the near-term to around 61.80 to a dollar, trader says, as the government's cash position is set to improve further due to gains from the ongoing mobile spectrum auction.
Globally, the dollar struggles against Asian currencies ahead of key event risks, namely the ECB's policy decision due later on Thursday and U.S. jobs data on Friday.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]