5 Reasons Why Sony Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat Rollout May Happen in End of February or Early March
By Ryan Inoyori | February 7, 2014 5:47 PM EST
Sony may not take that long to release Android 4.4.2 KitKat among several Xperia devices such as the Z Series, SP and V after Android 4.3 rollout. Polish network carrier PLAY scheduled Xperia Z to get the latest firmware update as soon as early February which points all five signs of awaited rollout.
PLAY Upgrade List
Probably the most compelling proof of sooner release of Android 4.4.2 KitKat from Sony is the new upgrade list posted by Polish network carrier PLAY. According to their list, owners of Xperia Z can expect Android 4.4.2 rollouts starting at the end of February and early march, before the update for LG G2. It somehow coincide with Sony's recent update of its ALBUM app.
Android 4.3 Updates
Another network carrier, Vodafone Australia, already finished testing of Android 4.3 Jelly Bean for Xperia SP and TX. Sony recently confirmed the update firmware release arriving on Xperia SP, T and V starting at the end of January and early February. Once pushed out, Sony will begin focusing on Android 4.4.2 rollout for Xperia Z series.
ALBUM App Updated
ALBUM app on Xperia devices has been updated to build version 5.4.A.0.12 from previous 5.3.A.0.24. It is obviously taken a leap from 5.3 to 5.4 indicating an opening for Android 4.4.2 KitKat which has been confirmed by Sony that the new update brings support for Android KitKat firmware among Xperia devices.
Camera Apps Updated
Exclusive camera apps from Sony Xperia Z1 Timeshift Burst, Info-Eye and Social Live received an updates that brings multiple bug fixes and version 184.108.40.206. Sony's Social Live app improvements include new UI, transparent navigation bar and better text layout. Sony's several app updates signifies intent to prepare devices with better user experience on the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
End of Life Cycle Released
One of the biggest news among Sony Xperia owners is the confirmation of several smartphones ending their cycle this year. According to Sony Mobile, selected Xperia smartphones are not going to receive any further software upgrade support and will remain to whatever Android version they are on. Xperia devices end life cycle includes:
1. Xperia S
2. Xperia SL
3. Xperia Sola
4. Xperia Arc S
5. Xperia Acro S
6. Xperia Ion
7. Xperia Go
8. Xperia P
9. Xperia J
10. Xperia U
11. Xperia Miro
12. Xperia Tipo
Owners of the devices listed above will have to resort to custom ROMs in order to experience Android 4.4.2 KitKat made by developers such as Free Xperia team. But for Sony, it is only a matter of 18-month update window period expiration and enables them to concentrate on upgrading Xperia devices which are still enjoying the privilege.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet